New Pentax K7 DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the past we haven't seen enough customer demand for the support Pentax dSLR cameras for us to invest in the development of a new housing. We do keep an eye on new models from all manufacturers however.

So the best answer is that I don't expect us to offer a housing for it. However that could change if there seems to be a significant increase in demand over previous models.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Please do!

I have a collection of Ike ports I want to use with this camera.

If Ikelite cannot supply one I'll approach UK-Germany (they supported the *istDS and K10/20D)

Will Ikelite still do a custom fitted housing? (perhaps if this is done for one customer the pattern could be kept and a housing listed?)
I know you used to be able to post your camera to Ikelite and get it fitted to a housing for a small surcharge. Fantastic service!! (this was done for at least one Pentax DSLR which is being used in Hawaii)

Cheers

In the past we haven't seen enough customer demand for the support Pentax dSLR cameras for us to invest in the development of a new housing. We do keep an eye on new models from all manufacturers however.

So the best answer is that I don't expect us to offer a housing for it. However that could change if there seems to be a significant increase in demand over previous models.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

I'm the Hawaiian with the only Ikelite custom DSLR housing for the *istDL/DS2 series. Been totally satisfied with the camera, really wanted to upgrade to the new K7, felt it was the best of the lot. Asked my Ikelite dealer to inquire about making a new housing, since I just invested in new ports & dual DS160's, and new 31mm macro lens.

As suspected the 'no more custom housings' answer came back. After 17 years of great customer service and 4 custom housings from Ikelite I am extremely disappointed in the change in policy. In the past they were happy to take care of our needs. At DEMA the engineers said it's possible. Why does it seem they continue to make cases for practically every other camera under the sun - except Pentax? If Pentax cameras were worthless pieces of junk I'd understand but much to the contrary. They're a lot better than Sony (there can't be that many Sony Alphas going underwater). If Ikelite offered Pentax housings users like me would have bought them. Creating a template from a master camera can't be that hard; they did it before. I didn't even ask for a TTL converter.

Sad, expensive solution to this problem? I have little choice but sell my beloved Pentax gear & replace it with Canon. At least it will have TTL flash. Have too much invested in ports & strobes to buy a German housing.

Hi Jean,

out of customer loyalty can you help us out?

Money is money, and having real working photographers using your gear and talking of your legendary support sells more housings for you regardless of the camera housed! I've sold five housings through endorsement for you in the last two years! and I'm sure fishpicshi has sold many more.

fishpicshi, failing Ikelite supporting us I have found some options. A machinist in Sydney (or I'm sure you could find one local to you) can engineer an adapter ring to use Ike ports on other makes of housings(UK Germany perhaps?). It does introduce an extra O-ring, but really no more dangerous than an extension tube. The biggest concern is differing expansion rates of plastic versus metal.. a possible source of floods, but not insurmountable.

I have both Ike and Subal gear and the machinist can make a new back for my Subal housing to suit the K7. Would your *ist housing be adaptable?

fishpicshi, we use these cameras because we love them and have considerable investment in a good system. I've used Canon and Nikon professionally and always feel more comfortable shooting Pentax. I don't want to be forced to use otherwise:)

Jean, perhaps one of your engineers or an apprentice would be prepared to take it on as an after hours project?
Or could you supply some blank housings and controls I can get my machinist to fit in Oz (I'm happy to waive warranty)?

Cheers!

I certainly appreciate your enthusiastic support of Ikelite products. Here's where I'm coming from:

According to our records, Ike discontinued custom housings back in 2002. It was agreed that creating a custom housing was no different than prototyping a new model. So since then we only develop prototypes for camera models that we are intending to offer as a production model.

Production is strained with every introduction of a new camera model. We already have a difficult time scheduling machine time for both our extensive line of over 110 different housing models in addition to accessory products and prototyping of future models.

Prototyping usually takes at least 2-3 days without the development of new electronics. Also there are a number of parts (cases, controls, etc.) that end up unusable after the creation of a prototype. So just parts cost and 16-24+ hours at a reasonable shop rate would put the end price of a one-off housing at well over double the normal retail price of an SLR housing.

I've polled all the people here and we've received at most 3 other requests for this camera model. And I'm not sure that those are unique requests. I'm sorry but it is just not enough demand for us to produce this housing.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

I appreciate the business economics of needing a certain amount of customer demand.

For what it is worth, put my name on the list of those who would order a housing for the Pentax K7 if made available. I guess that is at least 4 housings sold!

I'm an Olympus user and I'm happy ikelite still makes housings despite olympus having their own uw system. haveing weather sealing on both the E-1 and E-3 meaning, just incase of floods (minimal ones) we'll be able to rest easy. but the Pentax K-7 took it even further, they have O-rings between the lens and body, now that's extreme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom