Navy Dive Tenders 6/27 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had an awesome day and it was so much fun to be back in the Gulf in a 3m suit!!:D
I left home around 4:30 am and arrived at Gary's Shop on time(yes I actually can). We had a full 6 pack and surprisingly the boat had one newbie with 32 dives, 2 who had been out of the water for 3 to 4 years and one who got seasick and of these two jumped in the water without their weights. Gary and DM John were very patient and accommodating. Poor John lugged every-one's gear not from the dock but from their vehicles and then back!! Talk about service!! That man deserves an award!
Gary did an excellent job of getting us to and from the sites and when we arrived at the YDT's we were the only boat there for awhile. I partnered with Lauri who drove from Louisiana alone to dive by herself because her husband doesn't dive (sound familiar):wink:. We swapped stories and upon arriving at YDT 14 she and I partnered to make our first dive. She has trouble clearing so we descended slowly and made our way to one of the most spectacular wrecks in the area. Our max depth was 89 and we agreed upon a turn around that she was comfortable with so we had a dive of 34 minutes and I got back on the boat with 1300psi. I don't mind. I know there are alot of you who have helped me and buddied up with me in the past and did not complain when I had to turn the dive. The murk layer didn't seem to be as defined as it has been because when we were making our safey stop at 20 ft you could see the surface and the water is in the 80's on the surface. I was surprised to find a distinct thermocline and the temperature dropping to 73 at depth. I was comfortable in a 3ml and really didn't realize the temperature had changed that much. The vis opened to around 50ft and it gave us an amazing look at this beautiful wreck.
We had a nice SI and then continued to the next YDT for our 2nd dive. This one was YDT15 which is a bit deeper and we hit a max depth of 100ft with vis dropping slightly to around 30ft. This wreck is even more spectacular to me than the first because it is sitting deeper in the sand and seems to be more aged than the first even though they were sunk at the same time. We had a dive lasting for 37 minutes this time and I again had plenty of air left. Gary was cooking sausages for sausage dogs when we made it back to the boat and we all had a nice lunch and a nice ride back in.
It was a great day and I met alot of new people and hopefully some future dive buddies.
Gary and DM John, thank you for doing such a wonderful job!!

OK!!! So I don't have pics!! :depressed: If Walter or Glen or Barry or Alex would have shown I would have awesome pics of how excellent my buoyancy, precision and technique is now that I have been trained in the fine art of intro cave.

Nice Report Denise, Sounds like you had a great time. I am really sorry that I couldn't go but I did manage to get into the water for 3 dives (Even though I was on call). Look forward to diving with you and Andy again soon!

Thanks Barry!! I look forward to it!!

Great report Denise, sounds like a great day on the gulf and I hate missing some connecuh!

LOL....Gary does a good job cooking on the boat amidst the waves

Mmmm.....Mmmmmmmm..... Some Good chit :wink:

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 17
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom