Slow Down!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was criticized this weekend for swimming way too fast. My buddy was very groovy about this (and many other things. Being greener than emerald kale behind the ears I've been very lucky to chance on very knowledgeable buddies down the quarry) and explained that slow swimming would come with more training. However, this didn't make much sense to me. I understand the usefulness of swimming slowly to enjoy coral/explore nooks and crannies/not startle nurse sharks... but when swimming in open water TO something isn't being a strong swimmer a good thing?

Swimming hard has a few disadvantages. First of all, if you are breathing harder, you are draining your tank more quickly. Also, research has shown that heavy physical exertion under water can increase the likelyhood of getting bent.

The best thing my OW instructor taught me was "diving is trippy."

Swimming faster to something is not necessarily a good thing.

Because water is denser than air, the energy required to move through it increases at an exponential rate. To move twice as fast requires four times the amount of energy, thus causing you to use air at a much faster rate.

So, even tho it seems getting to point A faster would give you more time to enjoy your dive there, it's often not the case as you will likely have LESS air left if you expend more energy getting there faster.

Just like a car, the faster you go the less efficient you are, regardless of how fit you are.

Slow down and enjoy the dive, and when you get to your objective you'll be able to spend more time there.

Not to mention being safer from things like exhaustion, stress and cramps.

Being a strong swimmer is a good thing *sometimes*. However, I see more by hovering and swimming slowly. I get a chance to study what is there instead of blowing by it. Maybe you'll miss that moray eel if you swim too fast. Also, my dives are much longer that way. I pay good money to get bottom time when I go diving. I don't want to cheat myself out of it, do I?:D

saying once bubbled...
but when swimming in open water TO something isn't being a strong swimmer a good thing?

strong/good swimmer <> fast swimmer
strong/good swimmer = efficient swimmer

at least in SUBA world

svidlano once bubbled...

strong/good swimmer <> fast swimmer
strong/good swimmer = efficient swimmer

at least in SUBA world

?? 'splaine please....

Let's put it this way:

If in swimming form point A to point B the first diver spends 500 psi, and the second diver only 300 psi /same size tanks), then I would say that second diver is "better swimmer", even if the first diver covered the distance in less time.

That being said I keep in mind that the second diver should be able to cover the distance between A and B in reasonable time, be able to cope with current, and so on ...

first...I have no idea what svidlano is talking about....but I know this.

I was a strong/fast swimmer....I started out motoring around the quarry and being tired after dives. I also wore my buddy's out doing that sort of thing.

I have refined my speed and am now a very leisurely paced diver with the exception of the times I need to "grab another gear" <damn motorheads>.

I only speed around when I have to, and my SAC rate has improved since I slowed down.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
first...I have no idea what svidlano is talking about....but I know this.

I was a strong/fast swimmer....I started out motoring around the quarry and being tired after dives. I also wore my buddy's out doing that sort of thing.

I have refined my speed and am now a very leisurely paced diver with the exception of the times I need to "grab another gear" <damn motorheads>.

I only speed around when I have to, and my SAC rate has improved since I slowed down.

I was trying to bubble that in SCUBA world being fast(er) swimmer dos not mean that you are good (better) swimmer ("<>" means "not equal").

Back
Top Bottom