Dive Report: Ft. Pickens: 27 June 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Went to Ft. Pickens with some of the members from West Florida Dive Club today. What a great time we had. The viz was unbelievable from shore and shallow but as we got deeper the silt was hanging at the bottom and dropped the viz significantly. We had about 10-15 feet shallow (In less than 20 feet of water but as we got sown below 20 feet it dropped to about 5-8 feet. We did see a host of critters though in the shallower water including the biggest school of snapper I've ever seen. And some with some size to them. They completely ingulfed us at one point and made seeing a challenge albeit just for a moment or two, it reminded me of being in a school of bait fish but these weren't small fish! I was showing temps of 79* and had a max depth of 39 feet for 72 minutes.
Here are a few pics:

Scorpion fish:
P6274106.jpg

P6274107.jpg

P6274136.jpg

P6274139.jpg

P6274140.jpg

P6274143.jpg

P6274147.jpg

P6274175.jpg

P6274158.jpg

Check out the Black Snapper::confused:

P6274166.jpg

P6274167.jpg

P6274168.jpg

P6274169.jpg

Thnx for the report

Look at all the fishies! Thanks for the report. Wonder why the viz was so bad.

No idea why the viz was crappy, just didn't make sense. I waited on the seawall for over an hour for Ron and I never saw him. Sorry if I missed him!

Look at all the fishies! Thanks for the report. Wonder why the viz was so bad.

No idea why the viz was crappy, just didn't make sense. I waited on the seawall for over an hour for Ron and I never saw him. Sorry if I missed him!

He met up with SPD and dove with him and made a few more friends. Had a great time!

You find the coolest critters..even in that vis. :)

You find the coolest critters..even in that vis. :)

Finding them is easy (you would know if you weren't in muddy old caves all the time). The hard part is getting the light right for a good photograph, which Barry did perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom