Mako, Aeris, Tekna, Apollo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean Pal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
All these dpv's look very similar from the photos I have been able to pull up online. For those who might know, are one of these models any better than the others. I have already eliminated the pricier models and I am just trying to eliminate it down to one between these four. I never knew there were so many models which makes the dicision difficult for an inexperienced scooterer. I will be using it mostly for feediving the open waters out of my own boat. I am looking to spend no more than $2000-$2500 but will spend less if I can get away with it.

If I had $2500 to spend I would buy a used X-scooter.

The Tekna is the predecessor to the Mako, which is the same as the Aeris. There are many enhancements over the Tekna, which is no longer made. If you can get a Tekna in good shape for the right price then go for it. Otherwise a used Mako can be had for around $800 or so depending on condition and improvements.

The Apollo's are kinda funky, and do not really seem to be used as tow behinds, but I have never used one.

Tekna has not been made in decades, I have one, had two, rebuilt several. They are relatively fast even by today's measure but have several downsides, fragile shell, charging in a closed housing--BOOM!

If you have 2,500 dollars to spend, get a new scooter as has been suggested.

N

I wouldn't pay more than 800 for a good used Mako/Tekna. If you have 2-2500 for sure go with a used X as already suggested. You could finance a new one too on their website.

I have a rebuilt DV3X with upgrades thick nose plate, HD bulkhead new batteries AJ clutch ( Delran and aluminum ) Delran yoke & screw new reeds and relay , plastic blades ( aluminums are 125.00 more)and a and 30 day warranty for 1000.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom