Feeling dizzy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dizzy1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did some shore diving last week in Curacao. After going to about 100 feet on Thursday, I experienced some vertigo. It is not constant, but almost a week later, I am still feeling a little dizzy. It seems to come in spurts--lasts an hour or two and then becomes less noticable. Can anyone tell me what's going on or--better yet--how to fix it?

No one on this board can diagnose diving related injuries or conditions reliably by long distance. However, DAN (Divers Alert Network) has an excellent hotline and will answer questions and offer suggestions even for non-members. Try 1-800-446-2671 or their diving emergency number, 1-919-684-4326. They may be able to direct you toward the best course of action, including facilities and personel that can render assistance in our area.
At the very least, I agree with Scott that you should consult a medical professional, preferably one who is well versed in diving related injuries. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
An old friend of mine had cerebral decompression sickness (bubble of nitrogen in the brain) with similar symptoms. He fell over due to a dizzy spell and was hospitalised and diagnosed with type II DCS.

It might be nothing so serious - there are many things that can cause similar symptoms - but agree with the above sentiments - get yourself to a doctor, preferably one with hyperbaric training. As Guba pointed out., DAN will be happy to assist.

Safe diving,

C.

The first thing we do in evaluating dizziness is try to figure out whether the person is lightheaded (as in feeling like they are going to faint) or whether they have vertigo (a sense of spinning or motion). The differential diagnosis of the first is vast, and if those symptoms are persistent, they definitely need evaluation by a physician.

The Ddx of vertigo is smaller -- it's either related to a problem with the inner ear, or it's central (related to processing of data by the brain). A benign example of the latter is the tendency for people who have been on a boat to feel as though the ground is rocking or moving, once they have disembarked. The brain has been "trained" to accept the boat motion, and then interprets the motionlessness of the ground as moving. That goes away with some time, but precisely how long varies from person to person. (I got off the dive boat Sunday night, and the kitchen is still rolling this morning.)

Diving trauma that produces vertigo most often involves problems with equalization, and damage to the inner ear. However, this vertigo would be unlikely to be intermittent, unless it were very mild and simply being masked by other proprioceptive input at times. Inner ear DCS, as I understand it (and I am not a hyperbaric doc) is most commonw with people decompressing off helium mixes. It also produces significant vertigo, which is not intermittent.

I agree with the other posters -- if this problem is persistent, it needs a physician's evaluation.

Back
Top Bottom