Deep Dixie Divers goes to Beaufort NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveral

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Beaufort 6/24-6/27

Hey guys,

Just spent four fantastic days diving from the Seaquest II with Discovery diving. I don't have my logs so I'll post some high points now from memory and follow up with more detailed trip reports later.

Wednesday 6/24. We put 5 of 14 divers on the Seaquest and rode out to the Spar and Aeolus. Seas were flat, I'm talking Wheeler Lake Alabama flat. Never seen nothing like that. 1st dive on the Spar, Vis 60 feet temps in the 70's and sharks all over the place. Saw a big sea turtle, think its a loggerhead. 2nd dive Aeolus similar conditions but no sharks.

Thursday 6/25. We've got 7 out of 14 divers on the Seaquest. Seas are 1-2 feet 1st dive on the Schurz 70-80' vis temps in the 70's and life all over the wreck. See 5 lionfish and a couple of sandtigers. 2nd dive on the Indra, viz maybe 25' to the top of the wreck and 10-15' inside.

Friday 6/26. We've got 8 out of 14 divers and we dive the U-352. Seas are 2-4 feet Vis is 80' temps in the 70's and the six new NC divers in the group are awed. We head back to the Spar to show off the sharks to the guys who missed Wednesday's dive.

Saturday 6/27. We've got 8 out of 13 divers and we head out in 3-5 foot seas. We dive the HMS Bedfordshire, vis is 50-60 feet and there is life all over the wreck. See some ling cod. Next dive is on the Hardee wreck or yard oiler vis is a little better and the fish are more numerous and bigger than on the bedfordshire. Loved the relief available on the hardee.

AL

Shark Video !! YouTube - Sand Tiger Sharks on the Spar wreck off Beaufort, NC

I estimate that there were more than 70 sandtigers on the Spar. I stopped counting at 36 on the starboard side and they were everywhere. This video was shot by Dave, one of the Indiana Great Lakes wreck divers that joined us for the trip. I should be getting some pictures from one of my dive buddies.

The guy diving doubles is JimDiv'nhoosier.

AL

Back
Top Bottom