New Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justinfv41

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys,
I live in Mass. on the South shore. I always go snorkeling with my buddies and we always pull up alot of lobsters when we go. But just about everytime we go I see tautog and flounder, so I want to get into spearfishing. I found a gun on leisurepro, the JBL D8 Super Carbine Speargun. I was just wondering if you guys knew about it and had some feedback on it. Also wondering if anyone on here is around Mass. and knows of some good spots. Thanks guys.

$80 is really a low cost gun. Shafts from Riffe are $50 or so. Just to give you an idea. The same length gun from some higher end brands would be $180 or so and up. I would be wary and if you get into it, you'll end up getting a higher end gun anyway...and if you don't like it, you could sell a nicer gun... just my opinion.

Go with what you can afford. If it's a $70 JBL then it's a start plus when you get a good gun you will always have it for a backup.

When I was 12 or 13 I killed the heck outa fish with a homemade gun I got from a Filipino. I traded a few packs of my dad's cigarettes for it. It was pretty primitive but would kill fish. If you learn to pick your shots and know the limitations of the gun you will do OK. I have an old JBL Competition Magnum and it it has been a decent gun and has killed a lot of 'togs.

Get a cheap fiberglass polespear, and you can pick up anything that rolls up on you while lobstering. Polespears have limited range (4-6ft) but I dont think your visibility allows for longer shots anyways. JBL gun is OK too, but polespear is more fun

You can try to get a used gun. I got a Spear Fishing Specialties Rhino for about $150 and love it. The shafts get expensive, especially if lose them in ledges or big fish swim away with them... Ahem!! Anywayyyy..... I haven't mastered the "line" yet so doing it free shaft. I'm hoping if I'm a good girl this year Santa will bring me a Darryl Wong Hybrid. Spearboard was mentioned above and they can def give you more info. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom