Change to F1 Fin Material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainsey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been looking at a heavier, negative bouyant fin and the F1 has appealed to me. The owner of our dive shop has a set he uses and I have to say I love the feel of them.

He finally got some in for sale and the material has now changed from a rubber to a more poly type similar to a regular fin and, compared to the larger (and older) ones I handled the other day, they feel lighter.

Anyone know what the bouyancy characteristics are of the new material compared to the old and why the change. Reluctant to purchase if I do not get the extra negative bouyancy from them.

Cheers

Rainsey

The actual weight of each fin out of water is 3.40 lbs, and in water just slightly negative at -.5 lbs. However, I don't know if that is for the new material you are talking about. I purchased my XXL F1's about 4 months ago when the XXL were released, and those were the bouyancy characteristics I was given...

Hang in there....:coffee:
Nick Hollis will be along shortly(today). He is really good about answering any questions posted here in the Hollis forum...

PS... I love mine to death... They were worth the 8 month wait...

K9Pig,

Thanks for the feedback. The owner of the dive shop swears by his. Was quite interesting... was on a boat dive with him and another of the shop staff on the week end and he swapped fins with the other guy. The chap with the F1's could not get his reg out of his mouth fast enough after the dive to state how good they were.

I was a little disapointed rocking up to the shop today to try on the regulars only to find that they were not rubber.

I currently wear Mares Super Channels and find them terrific, but, now in a dry suit, want a bit more weight at my feet.

Lets see what Nick has to say.

Cheers

Rainsey

I'm also curious about the reason for change of material from rubber to some plastic material. I was about to buy these fins, but at the moment I'm not sure anymore.

Regards,
Peter

I'm also curious about the reason for change of material from rubber to some plastic material. I was about to buy these fins, but at the moment I'm not sure anymore.

Regards,
Peter

Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long to see this thread!

In our second production run, there was a change in material and specifically to the texture. This change was to add a more finished look and feel, but has now changed back to the original glossy, rubber finish. If you received an F1 with the new material, consider it a limited edition as we only produced a few hundred pairs. Change in stiffness between the two is slightly noticeable, however buoyancy and overall performance has remained identical.

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long to see this thread!

In our second production run, there was a change in material and specifically to the texture. This change was to add a more finished look and feel, but has now changed back to the original glossy, rubber finish. If you received an F1 with the new material, consider it a limited edition as we only produced a few hundred pairs. Change in stiffness between the two is slightly noticeable, however buoyancy and overall performance has remained identical.

Hope this helps.

What a bugger,

I much prefer the original (now current) rubber finish rather than the 'limited edition' pair that I ended up buying. Feel ripped off as I think the original finish was superior to the re vamped style. One thing I can say with the 'Limited' edition version, it does not take lightly to scratches and the likes of the original rubber finish. Also is not as stiff.

Personally do not like my F1's as much as the dive shop owner who has the originals. Whats the chance of a swap?

Cheers

Rainsey

What a bugger,

I much prefer the original (now current) rubber finish rather than the 'limited edition' pair that I ended up buying. Feel ripped off as I think the original finish was superior to the re vamped style. One thing I can say with the 'Limited' edition version, it does not take lightly to scratches and the likes of the original rubber finish. Also is not as stiff.

Personally do not like my F1's as much as the dive shop owner who has the originals. Whats the chance of a swap?

Cheers

Rainsey

Hi Rainsey,

As you are located in AUS, please contact the LDS which you had originally purchased the fins through. There is a chance they will swap them out for an alternate pair :wink:

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom