anyone ever sewn pockets or additional d-rings on a balance? or any other bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I just got a balance and the only thing I don't like about it it is it does not have any practical pockets and only has a few d-rings so I was wandering if anyone has sewn a pocket or some extra d-rings to it. Thanks

I add 2- 2" D-rings to the lower tank band of my BC's. I thread a standard weight belt keeper onto the tank band, through the D-ring and back into the wb keeper. I place one on each side of the tank. The biggest PITA is getting the cam buckle adjusted again. They are actually easy to reach although it appears that they would not be. I attach things like spare lights or reels on them using clips (snap bolts). If you get clips that are large enough to get your little finger in the loop, they are very easy to attach/remove one handed. Whatever I attach there is easy to reach but does not dangle around.

is there anyway you can get a pic of your set up with some of the snap bolts you talk about? that would be GREAT! thanks

The clips are the regular old clips like you would find at the end of a dog leash, except I use either stainless steel or marine brass. The same type that is used for a stage bottle mount. You can get these at most LDS or I get mine at Lowes home improvement store. The clips are tied or tiewrapped to my light, reel or whatever. As for pictures, I don't have a digital camera yet so that's not very practical for me. If you need more info, PM me and we will work something out.

where on the strap are they positioned? on the very far edge, or in the middle?

I place the D rings on each side of the tank, a bit closer to the wing (bladder) than mid way. If you imagine standing behind your BC and looking down at the top of the tank with the BC at 12 O'clock and the tank strap buckle at 6, I place the D-rings at about 2 and 10. Exact placement is your choice, that's where they are easiest for me to get to.

I also added 2 stainless D-rings to my Balance BC. I placed them on the back lower edge of the waist band where the elastic strap meets the wing, one one each side.
I've found these are great alterantive clip-off points for lights and other accessories and keeps them from possibly dragging. I think it is also better because it puts them out of the way, yet easily accessible when I want them.

How many d-rings do you need?

IMO, things shouldn't dangle from d-rings. that limits the useful number and location. I sometimes carry a lot of stuff and I do it with a plain harness and three d-rings. Some prefer an extra one or two but the need is arguable and you shure don't need the number of rings they put on some of the "look tech" bc's.

I had a Balance too. For a pocket I bought a Dive-Rite thigh pocket. It attaches with a strap around the waistband and a elastic velcro strap around your thigh. I think I payed about $40 for it.

Back
Top Bottom