Dive Report: Navarre Beach Pier 07-02-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Went to Navarre Beach Pier with Brandon Pratt to do a little recon and I returned very depressed. :depressed:
First, all the old rubble is now covered including the single piece a hundred yards South West of the end of the pier. We did not find any rubble although the summer grass was in and made it hard to see at some points. We spent most of our time under the old pier and we were able to spot a few old friends here including large schools of cigar minnows, some pin fish, one giant sting ray, a couple of small snapper, and some small reef fish on the pilings. There are millions of small sand dollars about the size of quarter to half dollars under the pier right now which we collected a few and gave them away to kids on the beach.

Viz averaged about 10 feet when the grass wasn't obstrucing your view we only had a max depth of 19 feet whcih explains why everything is covered (Not sunk). And the temp was 79*
Now the real bad news, the new pier is into the surf zone, now does this mean they will stop us from diving as they do construction? :confused: Lots of people were walking under the new pier as they were making it today so I guess that they are not concerned about anyone getting hurt but we will have to watch this as it plays out.

Last edited:
At the very least, the old pier pilings made for an interesting dive. When we first started diving the site several years back, we didn't even know there was rubble off to the side(it was covered I think) - LOL.

I hear that Pensacola Beach Reef is uncovered and with Fort Pickens back open, there's great two tank dives just waiting to be had just a bit further west.

I hadn't heard about Pensacola Beach being uncovered, Can you see the rocks and not just the pilings?

I hadn't heard about Pensacola Beach being uncovered, Can you see the rocks and not just the pilings?

Supposedly

I haven't verified though, so just like the West Beach Paddlewheeler, its rumor until someone goes and finds out :)

When do you have time for a paddle wheeler trip? Sunday?

That is sad. That was such a fun dive.

Sounds like its about time for a recon of P-cola Beach

i went out to pensacola beach reef on 6-6, 6-7 and the rocks and pilings were all uncovered. saw a few sea turtles that hung around and watched everyone. a few snapper, grouper, and tons of spade's that swarmed around me, so i sat in the sand and let them pick all over me. was quite fun. the current did get too strong to swim against around 1pm that weekend tho.

Back
Top Bottom