New Caledonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cemi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I would like to answer to an other thread and so talk about sites I really like in New caledonia. These are from the shore of Noumea. So really easy and want " when we want we dive ". The biodiversity is impressive with more than 100 differents nudibranchs species for example, of course not in one dive. It is also possible to see coral spawning (and not necessary to have scuba equipement, just snorkling it's ok) for example.

On the east coast Poindimie is very beautiful too, with huge gorgonians on pinnacles. I am not a great traveller but this is the nicest country I have never dive in.

Hello Cemi,

It doesn't appear that many people are interested in our country. Have you been diving this week-end? We did the Fausse Passe d'Uitoé and the Dumbea passage today. On the first dive we saw a turtle, a leopard shark, a few white tip sharks, plenty of fish and lovely corals. In the Dumbea passage we did a nice slow drift dive with sharks, a napoleon wrasse, plenty of cods, a couple of nudibranch. Nice easy diving with good visi. It is a nice change after the strong west winds of the past couple of weeks:)

It's a little island lost in the middle of the Coral Sea. I don't know if most Europeans know of it but here in the United States, not many do. The majority of those who know of it are either scientists or World War II veterans, who have spent some time there. Although, most of the Australians and New Zealanders I've met know of New Caledonia or have visted the island.

I've lived in the US since 1985 and I have only met one person who has visited New Caledonia. He has an uncle/aunt that live at Paita, south of Tontouta. It's not the "French Riviera" of the South Pacific as I've seen described. However, it's charming and untamed in certain areas.

If anyone is interested, here's a great little documentary film that I found on You Tube about New Caledonia.

YouTube - New Caledonia Travel Doc Part 01

Claude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom