Wind Dancer – Grenada June 09 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve found many trip reports on Scubaboard helpful in planning dive trips, so I thought I would reciprocate by writing up my recent Wind Dancer trip. Apologies if it doesn’t hit the spot for you – it’s my first attempt at a trip report!

Overall:

A great vessel, with a highly skilled crew who work hard to give you the best possible trip; stunning food; beautiful diving. Would I recommend Wind Dancer from Grenada – most definitely – yes.

Transfer/Arrival:

Travelling from the UK, we arrived in Barbados on the Friday & connected through to Grenada around Saturday lunchtime. Contrary to many other postings that I’ve seen, LIAT delivered us & our baggage on time. Peter Hughes organised the transfer to the True Blue Resort & this worked fine. We enjoyed fajitas & a couple of cold beers until the tender arrived bang on time at 5pm to take us aboard.

I would recommend planning to arrive on the Friday for any Caribbean liveaboard. Airlines in the region seem to have a poor record – two people booked on this trip (flying with AA) missed the departure on Saturday. Skipper (Simon) did a great job, re-jigging the route to connect with them on Monday pm, but a shame to miss the first 2 days of a trip.

Boat/Cabin/Food/Crew:

Wind dancer is a substantial vessel – built I, believe, to fish off Alaska. Lounge/dining area is roomy & v comfortable. Shade & sun bathing areas on the upper deck. Cabins are somewhat ‘cosy’ though no different to those on Caribbean Aggressors. Proper toilets & loads of hot water for the shower. At first, I was put off by the lack of a window/port hole – but in fact this gives you extra sleep as it means you don’t wake at sunrise.

Cabins 3-6 are larger than 7-10 – so request a low number if you can.
There is a larger crew than I had experienced on similar liveaboards – which meant that they always had time for all their guests – truly an excellent team.
Food – my comparison are the Cayman & T&C Aggressors. Both of these have excellent food – but Ryan on Wind Dancer definitely puts them in the shade. He is most certainly a chef not a cook. He announced at dinner on the first night that he aimed to provide better food each & every day. The consensus was that he succeeded.

Our trip had a full complement of 18 guests, but never felt crowded.

Dive Set Up:

Diving is by means of 2 tenders each taking up to 10 divers. Once set up, your kit stays on your allocated tender for the duration of the trip. Average times to the dive sites were around 15 mins each way. Excellent dive briefings. Nitrox reliably at 32% & the best fills ever. 240 bar most days, so everyone could relax and make a 60 min dive.

Itinerary:

The itinerary takes in Grenada, St Vincent & the Grenadines. They’ve extended the itinerary up to St Vincent in 2009 – this is a great addition. The dive sites around St Vincent were very good. We moored up at Wallilabou Bay (Young Island) for 2 nights. This is the location of Pirates of the Caribbean set & is truly beautiful.

Some nice views of the Islands throughout the week.

Only a small amount of late night or early morning passage - & this only due to the adjusted itinerary for the late joiners.

Diving & dive Sites:

Good dive guiding, but they are also happy for you to head off with your buddy & do your own thing.

23 dives were offered – I managed 21. 1 missed as I could not equalise & I skipped one of the night dives, choosing a few glasses of red with dinner instead!

Some great wall dives, a couple of shallow critter dives & the finale – Bianca C.

The reefs are in great condition. Most days, virtually no exposed rock. Every inch seemed covered with some form of life. Great sponges & soft corals everywhere. As on previous Caribbean trips, I’ve really noticed how few fish there are compared to e.g. the Red Sea or Maldives, nevertheless, our sightings included: Sting rays, turtles, squid, octopus, all sorts of morays, snake eels, many trunk fish, peacock flounders, Pederson cleaner shrimps, blennies, jawfish, slipper & Spanish lobsters, flying gurnards, porcupine fish, schools of Southern Sennet, magnificent sea urchin, banded shrimps & sea horses.

Boulders at Bequia must be one of the most beautiful dives anywhere.

Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the Bianca C. I only did that dive as my buddy was keen, but it was a wonderful dive. On reaching the deck, we had just 11 mins no deco time, so we steadily swam the length of the deck, arriving at the bows 20 mins into the dive & putting up our SMB’s with just 2 mins no deco left. Great visibility. Its huge & quite an atmospheric dive.

Any negatives?

A couple of small ones – just personal preferences really:

I was expecting the diving to be a little more challenging. In fact I specifically chose Grenada in the hope of finding some good current/drift dives. Apparently this is true at other times of the year, but in June, it’s very tame.

The dive schedule was a tad leisurely. The first dive was after breakfast & the night dive whenever dinner happened to finish. This meant some quit short surface intervals in the day & night dives that started v late.

I was also on this trip and completely agree with John's comments. The trip was great and I highly recommend diving in Grenada and St Vincent on the Wind Dancer.

- Char

thanks for doing your report here on SB. It sounds like a great trip. :D Where are your pictures? :eyebrow:

I wish more people would do trip reports to share with others. There are so many different liveaboards out there and so few get trip reports here. I am sure many people are hesitant to do a trip on a liveaboard if they haven't read anything about it. I know I am.

robin:D

Thank you for the report.

Was there only a single dive on the Bianca C??

When I did the Wind Dancer Grenada trip back in November 2007, we only did one dive on the Bianca C, and that was the first dive on the last day of diving.

If you want to really dive the Bianca C, I'd suggest flying in a couple of days earlier – or extending a few days afterwards – and diving with Aquanauts Grenada. Not only does Peter really know the Bianca C well and will give you some great dives on her, but they will also go out to the Atlantic wrecks like the King Mitch, which sit miles offshore and have excellent visibility.

Mark

All - thanks for your replies.

Deepstops - i think the normal plan is 2 dives on the Bianca C (but i'm not certain). We may have had only 1 shot at it due to the re-arranged itinerary for the late arrivals. We cut it quite fine - surfaced from the Bianca C with 24 hours & 5 mins to go before the homeward flight.

MarkUK - you mention Aquanauts. i spent some time with them whilst waiting for the transfer out to Wind Dancer & they seemed really switched on & nice people.

Robint - sorry no pix. i'm a firm believer in the view that the major threat to the future of coral reefs is not global warming, but the invention of reasonably priced digital underwater cameras. So i have only my memories to share.

Char - it was great to meet you on Wind Dancer - hope to dive with you again sometime

John

All - thanks for your replies.

Robint - sorry no pix. i'm a firm believer in the view that the major threat to the future of coral reefs is not global warming, but the invention of reasonably priced digital underwater cameras. So i have only my memories to share.

John

Not to get off topic, but AMEN!

I thought the same thing, Mantajohn. Lying all over the coral or sticking the strobe into something else, killing half the critters to take a shot of one, usually for a BLUE picture.

And thanks for the trip report. I was considering going except my fears were confirmed with "I’ve really noticed how few fish there are ..."

Thanks John, Nice to get such a detailed report. I'm glad you enjoyed the Wind Dancer and Grenada. Sounds like a good destination for a future trip.

Hey John
thanks for the nice write up, always nice to have a fellow Brit aboard and hope to see you again soon... maybe somewhere with some sharks and Mantas! Hmmm maybe maybe maybe.....

Char- thanks for the great write up on Undercurrent for us too!

Shasta man- we just had Paul Humann aboard on a REEF fish survey trip and he was very happy with the varieties of fish found on this itinerary. They counted over 260 individual species. Its the Caribbean and yes compared to the Maldives and the Red Sea of course we will seem to have few fish... but this truly is a top top Caribbean destination... I am of course only a little bias!

MarkUK- If you are the Mark I think you are I guess you were on the fam trip in 2007. You should check us out again, we have added St Vincent and this is some of the best diving to be had in the Tropical Western Atlantic (in my humble view).

Wishing you all good vis and calm seas

Cap'n Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom