Physical Fitness What Role Does It Play??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold kiwi

Reaction score
today i held a seminar at my local dive club on physical fitness and what role it plays in todays diving

well i was amazed at how many people scoffed at me when i began i soon found that most people that have there divemaster,rescue card or some instructors dont keep there fitness up whats the point in having a recue card and upon rescuing somone becoming a victim it made me think about how many people have these certs and when the calling of there skills are needed they find them selves to unfit to carry a rescue out or are absolutly stuffed after long surface swim

the padi dive master fitness calls for :
10min to swim 400m
around 17m to do a 800m snorkel
around 2 1/2 min for a 100m tired diver tow
15min float with last 2min hands out of water
.......i think this is done one after the other (mine was) but not sure if that is regulation

just wondering how many people with rescue cards/divemaster/dive con/instructors could honestly say they can do it .............................with out been scoffed at :)

Is that 400m swim without fins?

I know of a couple of instructors who would have a lot of trouble doing these things.

400m is just your shorts...no fins or wet suit...first time i tried it i was 11mins but with some training got it down to 8 most people at my facility can do it between 5-7min..........................................................bastards

Training for that damn 400m was what got me into swimming . . . I can still do it in 8 mins, it's my minimum standard. I'd feel really bad if I couldn't manage a PADI requirement.
:wink:

When I back onto a shift when the pool is available to me, I will be able to again. I used to swim laps for a couple of hours per day on my way into work. (Three to four times a week). I could probably come close now. I would bet against one of our instructors and one DiveCon.

diverbrian once bubbled...
I used to swim laps for a couple of hours per day on my way into work. (Three to four times a week).

Cool, you swam to work!:D

Even though I have been prevented from my normal daily ritual workout for the last 6 months due to physical problems I can manage. Part of it is endurance, part pacing and part sheer determination.

However... most rescuers try to move TOO FAST! We seem to teach them that the rescue ends after the tow (tired diver tow in particular). This is wrong!!! The rescue ends after EMS arrives and takes over and not one minute earlier. PACE yourselves! Learn now on your rescues and insist that your instructor make you go from beginning to end (a full half hour of CPR) to give you the idea of what a real rescue is all about. If you have your rescue card already, there is nothing wrong with you doing some additional training with your buds, or go get your lifeguard cert too. You can never prepare too much!

The worst is when you have to tread water and for the last 2 minutes (of 15) hold your hands out of water while holding bricks - lifeguard training.

of my PADI Divemaster Cert... all 15 minutes with my hands and toes out of the water. Floating can have it's advantages!

I dont think there are time limitations in any of the skills.

I have the PADI DM book in front of me right now and it just says the diver must do the 400yd swim without stopping and the 800yd snorkel nonstop. Nothing is said about the tired diver tow being timed.

Sheeeet, there better not being any time limitations...I'll be screwed, not being a good swimmer..it might take me a half hour to swim 50 yards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom