Eos 5D in Eos 5D Mark II Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BF52

Registered
Reaction score
I currently have an EOS 5D & will be getting an EOS 5D MII in the next few months.

I dont want to purchase a 5D housing than have to get another 1 in a few months.

Thus, am I able to purchase a 5D MII housing & use it with my current 5D?

Thank you.

Hi BF52,

Please let me know when you get your housing! Which one are you looking at?

I have had my 5DMKII since December 2008 - got it when it was released here in Hong Kong and it's a great camera. You'll love it, esp. upgrading from the 5D. Check out my blog/pics via my link below.

I'm too scared to bring my MKII underwater...haha, although the HD video would be SWEET! I'm too paranoid about it flooding so I just use my G10 for underwater shots. I'm interested in hearing about your u/w experiences with your MKII when you get it. (P.S. As mentioned earlier, the HD video capability of the MKII would make it ideal for underwater videography so IMHO, I'd just buy the MKII housing and not worry about using your original 5D for u/w stuffs. Just my two cents).

Cheers,

Hi Jeremy,

I actually having the same fears about flooding & was thinking about getting a G10 for underwater photography. Which housing r u using?

Were all ur underwater pics on ur photo site taken with the G10?

Was planning to sell the 5D when I get the 5DII :D

Brandon

These cameras/housings are not interchangeable. The original Canon 5D camera's lens opening will not be centered in the port opening of the housing for the Canon 5D Mark II. Also the controls in the back of the housing will not line up with the pushbuttons on the camera.

Regarding accidental floods, I strongly recommend carrying equipment insurance (such as DEPP) for protection. The annual cost is pennies on the dollar compared to the replacement price of a camera like the 5D Mark II.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Brandon,

Good advice from Ikelite Staff!

Yes, all my photos are from my G10. I'm just using the standard Canon housing (WP-DC28) with the Canon weights (WW-DC1) attached to the bottom and it works just fine. Now all I need to do is get an external strobe. The setup suits me just fine. My MKII is the land lubber workhorse and my G10 is my throw-in-the-pocket-take-all-around camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom