SOLVED: Wreck Raider Dive Charter -- No Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,
I just want to tell everyone about my terrible experience with Wreck Raiders Dive Charter out of Panama City Beach. Hopefeully, fellow SB divers will avoid the same fate as I did.
I booked a Sunday (7/5th) morning dive trip with Wreck Raiders and the owner, Rod, told me to be at the dock by 7:30am. So, from Destin, I headed out at 6am for an hour long drive to Panama City Beach. Got to the dock 15 mins early, I see the boat, but it was dry docked and not a single person in site. The dock is also next to Rod's house, so I knocked on his door several times, no answer either. I called Rod cell phone numerous times, again, no answer. Left several voice mails and not once did he return my calls. <sarcasm>This is one classy operations -- NOT!!!</sarcasm> I'm not sure what happened to this guy, seemed like he just dropped off the face of the earth.

I'd love to hear his lame excuse for wasting my time.

Safe diving everyone..

How far in advance did you book this charter? When was the last time you talked to him on the phone? If you booked it in the last few days, that's odd that he would tell you to show up if the boat was in dry dock. If you last talked to him months ago, then he perhaps should have notified you the charter was canceled but you should also have re-confirmed it a few days prior.

Are you even sure the boat you saw was the boat he was planning to use for the charter? Are you positive you were at the right dock?

As far as getting in contact with him, you posted less than 4 hours after your arrival at the dock. It's not uncommon for someone to be out of touch for 4 hours on a Sunday morning. Maybe he's out on the water?

How far in advance did you book this charter? When was the last time you talked to him on the phone? If you booked it in the last few days, that's odd that he would tell you to show up if the boat was in dry dock. If you last talked to him months ago, then he perhaps should have notified you the charter was canceled but you should also have re-confirmed it a few days prior.

Are you even sure the boat you saw was the boat he was planning to use for the charter? Are you positive you were at the right dock?

As far as getting in contact with him, you posted less than 4 hours after your arrival at the dock. It's not uncommon for someone to be out of touch for 4 hours on a Sunday morning. Maybe he's out on the water?

The last time I spoke to him was on Thursday of last week and I actually signed up for 2 dive trips with him - Sunday(7/5th) and Wednesday (7/8th).

The boat I saw had the Wreck Raider Dive Charter sign on the side, so it must be the one:) He gave me an address where to meet him and from what my Garmin said, I was in the right place.

Maybe he has two boats? Maybe he was leasing one while his is in dry dock? A charter op doesn't take their boat out of service at the peak of the summer season for no good reason. I don't know but it seems to be jumping the gun to sound off within 4 hours when you haven't heard his story yet.

On a summer holiday weekend it's very hard to find an open spot. Where were all the other passengers?

We had a great trip with him. He was at the docks early and did everything he could do to accommodate us. I understand why you would be upset, I would be upset also. However I do not think this is typical of his operation. Let us know if you ever hear back from him. Hopefully you will give him a second chance.

We had a great trip with him. He was at the docks early and did everything he could do to accommodate us. I understand why you would be upset, I would be upset also. However I do not think this is typical of his operation. Let us know if you ever hear back from him. Hopefully you will give him a second chance.

Apparently the OP didn't, he drove hundreds of miles to the address given, booked two dives in advance, was on time or early, made repeated phone calls and found no joy. Sounds like he was left high and dry with no explanation. N

I don't know but it seems to be jumping the gun to sound off within 4 hours when you haven't heard his story yet.

I know you're trying to "see the other possible side" of the story. but I can't blame the OP for being ticked that the captain didn't show up for a charter.

especially if the captain didn't call or answer his door when knocked on, or answer his cell phone.

I'm sure there is another side to this story from the captain, but it seems to me that the original poster tried every mean to contact him that morning. so I'd been pissed also.

if the boat is "dry docked" then it doesn't seem like this was an emergency issue but something that the captain could have cancelled a day or so before if he was having a boat problem.

A phone call could have avoided this whole mess, this thread, and other issues.

maybe there's a good reason for it, like a kid in the hospital or something that would have taken a higher priority.

Apparently the OP didn't, he drove hundreds of miles to the address given, booked two dives in advance, was on time or early, made repeated phone calls and found no joy. Sounds like he was left high and dry with no explanation. N

I don't disagree with that but I think it's premature to draw a conclusion. Unexpected events - even emergencies - can happen which are nobody's "fault" and don't afford an immediate opportunity for explanation.

I'm trying to imagine an explanation. I doubt the charter is out of business but decided to book the diver, charge his card, and hope he wouldn't notice or complain.

Its the 5th of July, I can think of a few reasons that people wouldn't be up and about early...

OP, sorry to hear about that, sucks a big one. Had a few great reports from other people using that operator recently too. Hopefully there is a good explanation and this isn't a sign of some crazy out of whack inconsistancies in how the business is run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom