Whale Shark on the 4th in Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
So we had just another typical Saturday charter:wink: and after we dove the USS Strength I motored over to Span 12 and sent my DM in to tie in. About 15 seconds later I noticed the sheer profusion of life in the clear flat water water, plainly visible down to the span itself.... which from the surface is pretty good. In fact I was just about to comment to the others how great the vis looked when I noticed the spots...... Why were there spots in the water..... OH MY GOD!!!! "Whale Shark! Expletive Whale Shark, No expleitive there is a whale shark!!!!"

At this point people are diving off the bow with masks only and wetsuits half on, when the DM (Tommy) gives the tugs to signal we are made fast to the span I also grab a spare set of gear and hit the water. Tommy was immersed in the bait cloud and had no idea why there was noone else on the boat when he surfaced to give his conditions report/ predive brief.

Video on YouTube

Also there were several large cobia swimming with it...
Best of all I have proof!

Yep, just another Saturday at Panama City Dive Charters:wink::D

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 148
excellent!!

Great that you saw a whale shark! :)

Too bad you had to touch and harass it. :(

Guys I understand your concerns about "harassing" the whale shark. It approached the divers and continuously circled the span not altering its behavior in the least while any of the divers (myself included) were in the water. The boat was at anchor and when it swam off after 30 minutes we did not follow.

I assure you a creature that large and powerful is quite capable of out distancing a scuba diver if it was made uncomfortable. While this was my first time in the water with a whale shark, I hate watching the dolphin tours hound our little mammalian friends and nothing like that was going on here.

Guys I understand your concerns about "harassing" the whale shark. It approached the divers and continuously circled the span not altering its behavior in the least while any of the divers (myself included) were in the water. The boat was at anchor and when it swam off after 30 minutes we did not follow.

I assure you a creature that large and powerful is quite capable of out distancing a scuba diver if it was made uncomfortable. While this was my first time in the water with a whale shark, I hate watching the dolphin tours hound our little mammalian friends and nothing like that was going on here.

Pat, you do not have to explain yourself to anybody. They are not worthy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom