Belize recommendation for PADI open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamltxn

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I have never dived before and plan to go to Belize to do a four day PADI open water course, then then possibly do some other diving in Belize and other parts of Central America. If anyone has recommendations for an instructor in Belize or experiences in Belize that would be helpful in selecting an instructor, I would very much appreciate hearing from you. I have found a few general threads discussing what to look for in an instructor, but would appreciate any specific recommendations.

Thanks, AdamLTxn

I've only had experience with one instructor on Ambergris Caye. His name is Ched Cabral and is with Reef Adventures. He helped finish my boyfriends AOW when we were down there. Very professional and informative. Overall fantastic instructor. I wouldn't hesistate at all to have him as an instructor if I was going to be down there and wanted to do a certification while there.

On second thought, I guess I've had some experience with a few others too. They were with Amigos del Mar and all of them were awesome too...not sure if they were just DM's or instructors though since we only did the Blue Hole trip with them. I'd say any insturctors with Amigos would be worth looking into as well.

Some of the best diving in the world is along the Belizian coast. The Honduran Reef extends all the way to Belize. Great diving along this reef. Something else to think about though. If you plan to do any exploring, you might want to look at the State Dept's reports on Belize. Belize City is the most dangerous city in the world right now because of the Columbian cocaine networks' using the city as it's Western Hemispheric distribution point. The Belizian gangs are some of the most ruthless you'll find. If you stick to the tourist and dive areas and don't venture into the poverty-stricken parts of town you'll be OK. Outside the city in the countryside or the smaller towns along the coast it's not so dangerous. This goes for Honduras also.

Thanks for the advice Darcey and for the head's up Garrobo. I don't plan to spend much time in Belize City. In response to Scott from LongIsland, I have not decided where to go yet, my decision will be driven in part by where I can find the best instructors and best value for diving.

Isn't there a forum on SB about Belize?

Just a quick note as we (my wife and I) have been to Belize quite a few times over the past 15 years, and I think Garrobo's comments about Belize City are a bit extreme. Not totally wrong, just too severe: as is the case anywhere if you are traveling around a strange city on your own you need to make sure you know where and what you are doing, and especially where not to go near or after dark. But most dive tourists aren't on their own, and don't even stay in the city, they just change planes at the airport and fly on to their destination (or back home).

If you do have to stay in Belize City, I'll suggest the Biltmore or the Radisson, or maybe a nice little B+B we stay at called Villa Biscardi. In any case have the hotel send someone to pick you up.

I haven't taken instruction in Belize so I won't recommend any outfit/instructor for that, but I will point out that Ambergris Caye has several dive operations that others have commented on in the past (I think you can search the archives), and a short boat run to the dive sites. We love southern Belize, but strictly for diving the boat rides can get to seem pretty long. If you go to Placencia, I've been very happy with Avadon Divers for diving, although as I say I haven't taken any actual courses from them.

Enjoy your trip, and if at all possible try to do your academics before you go (check with the dive operator to see what they accept).

Isn't there a forum on SB about Belize?

Yes, there is.

One of the great things about ScubaBoard is the amazing number of topic-specific forums, but that benefit becomes a bewildering obstacle for someone who is new to the board and sees this huge mass of sites.

If you go to the regional travel section of the board, then go to the Central America section, and then go to the Belize section, you will find what you are looking for. That is a lot to ask of someone who is here for the first time.

Here is a link to the Belize forum so you can go there directly:
Belize - ScubaBoard

By the way, if I were you I would not be searching all of Belize for an instructor. I would look instead for the place I want to stay in Belize and then choose an instructor from that location.

If you have the time, do your theory and pool before you go on vacation and get a referal for your open water dives. This means you loose a lot less of your holiday doing the course and can have more time for diving.
Also, and this is only my opinion, you should be able to get a slower and more thorough course at home, there will not be the preasure to complete it asap to get you in the water.

Hello,
I have never dived before and plan to go to Belize to do a four day PADI open water course, then then possibly do some other diving in Belize and other parts of Central America. If anyone has recommendations for an instructor in Belize or experiences in Belize that would be helpful in selecting an instructor, I would very much appreciate hearing from you. I have found a few general threads discussing what to look for in an instructor, but would appreciate any specific recommendations.
Thanks, AdamLTxn

I did my open water certification dives on Ambergris in Feb with Elbert Greer's staff at White Sands. I did my classroom and pool at home, prior to the trip. The White Sands staff was great on all counts. I went back after doing my four cert. dives and did another day of diving with them. Small boats, small groups-really wonderful. I saw some dive operations cramming people onto huge boats. IMO not the way to go.

You can't go wrong with White Sands and the visibility and reef life there is gorgeous. Hol Chan Park isn't deep, but it's really beautiful and worth seeing. I would go back to Ambergris Caye in a heartbeat and will be there at some point in the next few years.

I stayed in a lovely condo on the beach-The Palms. Small and quiet. There are no hotel chains on Ambergris. A really laid-back experience.

Leslie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom