Need Local Info re St. Andrews (and/or Destin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going at St. Andrews St Park on the evening of the 16th and will dive very very early in the morning if I can wake up. High tide is listed (by saltwater tides.com) as 5:11 AM for St. Andrews Bay Entrance. I don't know exactly what this means for slack tide at the St. Andrews St. Park Jetty but want to plan dive appropriately. I presume it's not quite the same. Does anyone know if I should factor in a correction factor for that particular locale. The next day I hope to dive the Destin "finger" jetty. I think that that tide is listed as a more reasonable 7:14 (East Pass).

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, it all depends how close to the charts the tides are running that week. As far as Destin goes, I was at the Destin pass on July 4th. High tide was listed as 8:23 AM. At 8 AM tide was pretty much in. Right around 12:30 PM it was like someone flipped a switch...the tide started moving out of the pass so quickly it was hard to stand up. I had to help a guy retrieve his boat because it pulled the anchor loose.

Generally with the Destin pass, we try to hit the water about an hour before the listed High slack tide. Make sure you have gloves for both dives...it helps if you have to pull yourself on the rocks. If you stay with the hour before higt tide time frame....it usually assures cleaner Gulf water. You may have a little current still coming in, but it makes for a nice drift dive back in when you are done. PM me if I can help with any particulars. Let me know what day you are doing Destin...we might be able to get you some company if you want any.

I'm going at St. Andrews St Park on the evening of the 16th and will dive very very early in the morning if I can wake up. High tide is listed (by saltwater tides.com) as 5:11 AM for St. Andrews Bay Entrance. I don't know exactly what this means for slack tide at the St. Andrews St. Park Jetty but want to plan dive appropriately. I presume it's not quite the same. Does anyone know if I should factor in a correction factor for that particular locale. The next day I hope to dive the Destin "finger" jetty. I think that that tide is listed as a more reasonable 7:14 (East Pass).

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the tip re: gloves. I will be camping at St. Andrews so will not need a gate pass. I hope to be diving Destin on the 18th (~6:15AM) if anyone wants to join. Not sure where I am staying and don't know the area all that well, so I can't promise I will be on time, but I suspect I will. Also, I will probably have a camera and will be poking around pretty leisurely on the way out and/or back in.

Dave

Also, I will probably have a camera and will be poking around pretty leisurely on the way out and/or back in.Dave

Ohh, now you sound like my kind of diver! :perv:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom