wet suit over wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a 3/2mm full length wetsuit and a 5mm shorty w/hood(too big for me). I am sure this is a stupid question but can one be worn over another for cold water?

I know a professional diver who wears up to 3 wetsuits at one time.. Yep you should be ok.

Yes...that is actually one recommended strategy for cold water diving.

I have a 3/2mm full length wetsuit and a 5mm shorty w/hood(too big for me). I am sure this is a stupid question but can one be worn over another for cold water?
Not a stupid question at all. Yes it can be worn that way but your protection level seems to be a bit lopsided. What I mean by this is you're going to be plenty warm in the core with 8mm while thin in the extremities with 2mm. This may or may not work depending on your thermostat and water temperature.

Is the 5mm long sleeve or short?

Kinda like wearing a coat over a sweater for warmth.....

yes---I do it all the time, I have no 5 mm suit in hand but wind up with one when I put my 3 mm full over my 3/2 full....

Most likely that shorty with a hood is actually a jacket which is designed to be worn over a full wetsuit.

One point, if the jacket is really too big, even over the full wetsuit, it probably won't be as effective because more water will be flowing over the base wetsuit. For a wetsuit to work, it really needs to fit properly.

Jeff

This is actually the theory behind Farmer John's. While not technically two seperate wetsuits, by having the pant part and jacket overlap over your core, you essentially get the benefit of two wetsuits over your core. And this is the standard wetsuit setup for water in the 40s and 50s.

So I see no reason overlapping two seperate wetsuits would cause a problem if they fit correctly, but I'm not sure if this is the ideal solution with your specific wetsuits as you add no additional protection to the arms or legs.

Yes, very useful to try different combinations for increased thermal protection.

Just bear in mind that WEIGHTING requirements will change so check when you change suits.

Also, if you're not already wearing a hood, it would make a lot of difference in keeping you warm.

Thanks for all the replies, I will try it out soon. I probably would have anyway but now I won't feel like such a dweeb.

In cold water (pre drysuit days, last year!) I wore a 3mm core warmer, a 3mm full, and a 7mm full. Being they were all Henderson Hyperstretch I still had full movement. Still a bit chilly in 38 degree water (Tobermory, ON) but better than just the 7mm!

Back
Top Bottom