Roatan Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captndan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are going on a cruise in August that stops in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. Three of us are divers and plan to at least dive in Roatan and Cozumel, but dont want to do the cattleboat thing through the cruiseline. Does anyone know of an operator that we could use from the port or at least close-by the port that would be easy access for us? Ive heard Coco View does day trips but Im not sure how reliable that source is. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Afaik there's no diveop at the port. It's not good diving off Coxen Hole. I believe the closest one would be Barefoot Divers at Barefoot Cay. But they're the resort diveop so not sure about their schedule for the puiblic. We dove with them one morning and did Mary's Place and the Prince Albert off Cocoview, just a short boat ride over. They have a smaller boat so probably couldn't take more than a dozen-15 divers max. It was just the 6 of us one morning accompanied by their DM. We were done by noon. Probably a $10/10min. cab ride from the port (Negotiate in advance..) but might be longer due to congestion around the port when your ship docks.

You might inquire with the cruise line about booking the Waihuku Shark Dive. It's on the south side off the airport and a pretty good dive. More of an advanced dive due to currents though.

I've read that Cocoview requires a check-out dive first if you're not staying with them so that may have some impact. Their boats leave at 8:30 so timing might be a factor.

Personally I'd dive Cayman instead of Roatan if I had to choose.

boat diving with CCV would not be possible. Everyone must do the shore dive with a DM orientation first. BUT I think you can do the shore diving if you want, after you do the shore thing with a DM. It is really an awesome dive if you like to shore dive. It all has to be arranged ahead of time, through Dockside Dive Center.

I think the cruise ships in Roatan use AKR for their diving and from what I have heard, it is a very good option. I have also heard of people taking a taxi down to the West End to some of the dive ops there for diving. I don't know if that works out any cheaper than doing the excursion from the cruiseline.

To add to Robin's comments.

Once you're done diving at Cocoview - or Anthony's Key - you're kind of stuck there unless you take a cab over to French Harbour from CCV or the West End from AKR. Not that that's bad, both have a beach etc. If you do decide on AKR, they do a Dolphin dive (not my avatar, that was shot in Curacao) that's worth the extra money. I think it's about $130 now for a single dive. Afaik AKR only does 2 morning dives and a later afternoon dive - getting back from that might be pushing it to get back to your ship - I'd contact AKR about it.

So you might consider diving with a West End op instead like Coconut Tree Divers. We dove with them all week and the most we had on the boat was 12, often it was just the 7 of us. Their morning boat leaves a 9AM promptly. Typically the first dive is going to be deeper down the wall (100' or so).

They'll hold your gear while it's drying so you can look around the West End and eat/drink/shop etc. If Gay's (owner) around, ask her for lunch suggestions - she told us about several places we'd have missed completely.

Cabs to the West End should be under $20 total - the price goes up when your ship docks - so negotiate b4 you get in. Cabs congregate in front of CTD so you'll have no problem with a ride back.

Ask CTD if they'll do Spooky Channel and Texas. Two of the better dives in that area.

Not as much looking to save money as I am just trying to get the true Roatan experience. I dont want to get stuck on the Americanized boat with the guy who got certified 5 years ago and hasnt dived since but thought it would be a good idea so he can get away from his wife and kids on the cruise even though he doesnt remember how to put his own gear together. (this has happened to me before). Ill look into the CTD. Im not sure our time will allow a checkout dive with the DM at CCV, as much as I'd like to go there. Maybe in the springtime! Ill see what I can find out, thanks for the info and any other suggestions are still appreciated.

Not as much looking to save money as I am just trying to get the true Roatan experience. I dont want to get stuck on the Americanized boat with the guy who got certified 5 years ago and hasnt dived since but thought it would be a good idea so he can get away from his wife and kids on the cruise even though he doesnt remember how to put his own gear together. (this has happened to me before). Ill look into the CTD. Im not sure our time will allow a checkout dive with the DM at CCV, as much as I'd like to go there. Maybe in the springtime! Ill see what I can find out, thanks for the info and any other suggestions are still appreciated.

Having made that same cruise 3 times, go with AKR.. Yeah, your gonna be on that boat with resort divers. AKR runs a nice shore excursion, and usually have 2 DM's in the water. Just going with the flow, fall to the back of the group with the trailing DM and you will have a ball, my wife and I do this all the time. If you are lucky enough to have Frank as the trailing DM he is the best, good guy mention that you heard of him, he will show you stuff that that everyone misses.

AKR has nice newer boats, big and roomy.

You will know Frank, he always wears a baseball cap underwater.

Belize? Well, it's okay....I am not impressed with that stop at all. Too expensive.... But Jody on that OP (Hugh Parkley)is a great DM and he can make it fun for you.

Cozumel, if You are cruising on Carnival they use Sand Dollar Sports and you will dive Santa Rosa Wall and San Clemente Reef. Both are great dives, I have dove with the several times and if you do dive the wall, make sure the DM takes you through the swim throughs. SDS also puts a videographer in the water with you and for 60 bucks with give you a DVD for your dives. Christan is a great Cameraman and diver.

I have dove with Norweigan Cruise Lines in Cozumel, if you are with them....DON'T use thier shore excursion.

Hope this helps,

Joe

The "true Roatan experience" ? But I thought you said you would be comng in on a cruise ship? Uh, I must be missing something here, better let Roatan Man sort this one out...Maybe try a post on: SB> Regional Travel and Dive Clubs > Central America > Bay Islands ? :popcorn: // ww

In that case, book with a dive op on the West End. I really wouldn't go to CCV unless I was staying there for the week. The walls on the southside of Roatan are amazing, and I am comparing them to walls over the Caribbean and also Palau. I would not miss a boat dive there.

as far as your other cruise stops.... don't dive Belize, take a land tour of the Mayan ruins. The good reefs are too far away from where the cruiseships park so you spend all day trying to get to dive at a mediocre reef with a bunch of noobs. (a friend did this on her cruise a few years ago and it was an absolute nightmare... all day travel on a bouncy boat for a 20 minute circlejerk dive :shakehead: She said it was the worst diving experience of her life and she has been diving for 15+ yrs)

In Cozumel, there are about 100+ dive ops there, make arrangements ahead of time for them to pick up up at a place near your ships docking pier. Make sure you get the time setup, most boats there go out earlier than the cruiseships dock, so you will have to make special arrangements. If you are the only one diving in your group, it may be hard to book a dive op and have them leave late for the dive sites just for you. So it may be a better bet to go with the cruise excursion.

To add to Robin's comments.

Once you're done diving at Cocoview - or Anthony's Key - you're kind of stuck there unless you take a cab over to French Harbour from CCV or the West End from AKR. Not that that's bad, both have a beach etc.

uuummm.......:confused: CCV does NOT have a beach, none, zip. There is a sandy area to walk in and out of water for shore diving, but no beach. No pool either and no kids. Its just a dive dive dive resort. The way I like it. :dance3:

Back
Top Bottom