hello!.. newb here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hiya board.. i have been snorkeling and suba'in all my life, my dad was certified, he would take me.. i took all the classes for PADI once never did my checkout dive. now my wife and i are getting certified so we can scuba. question, here in memphis.there are padi and ssi. whats the difference?

thanks!

There are minor differences in agencies. Both are internationally recognized and you should not have any problem anywhere in the world. Choose you class based on the instructor and the shop, not the agency.

ok thanks.. they seem to be about the same price...

Price is but one factor in deciding what agency to use. If everything was equal between the two, go with the lower cost. However that might not be the case and you want to go with the shop that you are comfortable with, and shows the greater knowledge, and interest in your personal safety and how you learn. Not just a shop that wants to take your money, and kick you out the door as fast as possible.

But this applies to many things, not just SCUBA.

Hi Slackware,

My open water certification is with SSI and my Advanced and Nitrox certs are with PADI. The one difference, in my opinion, is that PADI's tables are easier to learn and use. I've been fortunate in that both SSI and PADI instructors have been top-notch.

Doug

You will not learn the secret handshake unless you choose PADI certification :rofl3:

Seriously, little difference between those agencies - I suppose, if you were planning to dive in a really really remote part of the world, (no, not Nashville or Miami) a small argument could be made that PADI is the better known.......but really, I'd choose the instructor every time.

And Hoss....no more "Scuba'in" till you get certified, hear? :no:

Buy a BP/W....now!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom