Pensacola Area July 22-25 Dive/Spearfishing reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be around penascola July 22-25th I'd like to do some ocean diving and some spearfishing. I've done alot of freshwater spearfishing here in north alabama, but I've never dove in slatwater nor spearfished there. So my questions:

1. Anyone want to dive/spearfish anywhere near pensacola? Or elsewhere I don't mind a drive?
  2. Any charter recommendations for unexperienced Gulf divers?

Thanks for the help.

The gulf will have larger, stronger fish to shoot. Be prepared for possible entanglements, and free rides through the water from some of the fish you may shoot (larger amberjack, cobia, etc). Target depths are usually 60-110ft, so you will be narced. Pay very close attention to nitrogen loads, gas supply, and o2 toxicity if you're diving Nitrox. SOME divers :wink: find that sharks like to challenge them for their catch. It's not yet happened to me, but it's a real possibility. Read through some spearfishing threads here and in the UNDERWATER HUNTING section to get an idea of what other challenges you may face.

As for diving in the Gulf, conditions have been very good recently, and hopefully they will hold out. Listen to the Captain's/Dive Master's instructions What they are going to tell you is IMPORTANT Specifically, upon making entry, get to the safety line. Don't let go of the safety line until you are sure you are out of the surface current. I have seen many, many divers burn 1/3 of their tank because they let go of the line, and then had to swim against a surface current for a minute or two to get back on the line, or, they refuse to go hand-over-hand to the anchor line, and they burn even more gas. Just don't let go. Make sure you have a whistle and a surface marker buoy (the taller the better) in case you find yourself surfacing away from the boat.

All great info! Also metally prepare yourself for the very real possibility of sharks, they are there and they may challenge you for your catch..... What will you do?

Thanks for the info guys. Is anyone interested in doing any shore dives on wed or thursday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom