General equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pirates Dream Two

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,
I am new to this and have a few questions. I at first wanted to get a mask, snorkel, fins set up so I can dive on my boat and scrape barnacles off the prop. Now I'm thinking I would like to get a mask that will also be suitable for diving as I may pursue a cert here at some point. I know that I need to go to a dive shop and try on masks, etc, due to fitting issues, but I'd like to know if there are some brands to check out first, and some to stay away from due to lack of quality, etc, before I go shopping. I'm not looking to spend a fortune.....just good usable, expect good performance and a decent lifespan gear!! I do wear contact lenses.

I appreciate any suggestions!!!

Thanks,
Don

Winchester,Virginia

There is a good shop in Woodbridge, it is called Woodbridge SCUBA. Ed (the owner) is a good egg and will treat you well. You will probably be spending between 60 and 100 bucks for a good mask. There are also several other shops in the area. Including Fairfax, Sterling, and others. Try TUSA, Mares, Cressi, SCUBA Pro, Dive Rite. THat should give you a good start.

Go ahead and do your research if you like, but I will knock two of those out for you:

Cressi-Sub "Big Eyes" Black Skirt Mask

Cressi-Sub "Big Eyes" Black Skirt Mask

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

Some of the locals will jump in with find a mask that fit and all that good stuff....let me know how you like the extra viz with the mask (black skirt - NO glare), and the control you have with the fins.

Last edited:
That is my opinion ok, you surely have to try, but I really think Scubapro Jet fins are great (some people have some size issues with them, but luckily for me XL size fits great for both wet and dry suits in my case) and recently got the new Aqualung mask, very low inner volume and liked very much, also have an Halcyon and a Beuchat, but that doesn't mean any other brand is to put aside, you have great masks of all reputable brands.

Masks are a funny thing. It does not matter how much it costs, just as long as it fits and does not leak. Every face is different and there is a mask that will fit, find it and buy it - forget the cost.

There is a good shop in Woodbridge, it is called Woodbridge SCUBA. Ed (the owner) is a good egg and will treat you well. You will probably be spending between 60 and 100 bucks for a good mask. There are also several other shops in the area. Including Fairfax, Sterling, and others. Try TUSA, Mares, Cressi, SCUBA Pro, Dive Rite. THat should give you a good start.
If you're on a budget or don't feel the need to support your local dive shop, you can get an excellent mask for $50:

Mares X-Vision Two Window Mask

I have two of these, and I usually go out of my way to spend too much for dive equipment. Leisurepro or Scubatoys will let you send it back if it doesn't fit properly.

BTW, mine cost $45 - zero leaks.

I tried buying one on line that said "fits most faces" and sent it back because of obvious gaps when placed to my face.

I proceeded to try on every mask in the LDS and found ONE that passed both the no gaps test and the sniff test. It was a little more than I had wanted to pay, but that's the mask I bought.

Fit has to be the primary requirement unless you like clearing your mask continuously.

i have a bodyglove that was 15 and doesnt leak, main thing is good fit, and tempered lenses and no purge valve. i saw a black skirt single pane frameless that looked super comfortable too but my bodyglove works great. black skirts help cut the glare occasionally produced from light entering through the skirt. the no purge valve is a great thing to have since they dont always seal right either

Thanks folks, by all means...keep the suggestions coming!! I dont mind spending 100 bucks on a mask if it fits and is proven to last (given that I will take care of it). So purge valves fail often I take it? I just need a dry as possible mask due to contact lenses and being blind without them,lol. Not to mention I really dont like water up my nose...:) I know I will have to tolerate some water, but...

I think I read somewhere about double seals on masks also. Is that a good thing that makes a difference?

Thank you all,
Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom