What does this even mean? (LDS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got the following from a dive shop in the area. I've been in a couple of times. I signed up for their e-mail hoping to hear about local events, maybe a trip to the Keys, etc. I think this is the first e-mail I've gotten from them. And, every time I've been in the shop, they've been happy to sell me what I want, but never looked like they were "happy" to see me. Of course, I was the only one in the shop. Now the e-mail:

--------------------------------------------------
Greetings!

I have absolutely had it with this economy. Everything in the store is up for grabs. Prove to me why I should not just lock the doors and walk away after over 30 years in the business. We have lots of toys to chose from including all of the 2-piece womens rental suits - some of which look like they have never been in the water.
Thanks
[redacted]
--------------------------------------------------

What does this e-mail mean? Is everything on sale? Doesn't say. Why the unprofessional tone? A much better approach is "We know things are tough in this economy. Here are some great deals we've put together to help you out."

Maybe it means there is an actual use for a marketing degree.

I'm not sure what he is trying to say either. Is he trying to be clever and have a sale or is he frustrated?

Regardless, I would think it would be worth checking out to see what kind of 'deals' he has if it is close by.

Last edited:
Hey vondo:

I would not prove to them why they shouldn't lock the doors and walk away. I would suggest that they just keep the doors unlocked and never look back! :D

Along the same lines, I'd ask them if they'd give you a great deal on a refill station with banked cylinders. Offer them, eh 1000 USD to take part of the headache off their hands!

Seriously though, it sounds to me as if it's a marketing ploy to get peeps back in the shop. The loyal customers will undoubtedly feed the fire for the owner to stay (and his ego) but others with more choices or better buying savy will move on to another shop.

A more convincing statement would have been: "After 30 great years of serving wonderful customers, I am calling it quits. It has been a fun run, and while I chose to explore other ventures for personal reasons, I will give my customers one last great deal on anything in the store. Please come by and see me so that I can thank you personally." Or something like that...

This is just my humor and then opinion. On the latter, YMMV.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Come on, let's pep the thread up - post the name of the store!

It means that the majority of dive shop owners are not business people ... they're divers who decided to try making a living at something they love doing. Many of them are absolutely horrible at running a business, and end up frustrating themselves and their customers ... despite the best of intentions.

A common saying is that "The best way to make a small fortune in the dive industry is to start with a large fortune." ... this proves to be the case more often than not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It means that the majority of dive shop owners are not business people ...

You may well be right there. However, in this challenging economy, even some of the ones that are very good business people are experiencing quite a bit of frustration....especially some inland shops that don't have a natural "summer" draw.

I think the email might well have been an attempt at a clever way to announce a sale, while still making it clear that this sale REALLY needs to work if he is going to stay around. Unlike others, I don't automatically wish the store owner would walk away and "save" consumers from himself. Maybe he can have a successful sale, create the beginnings of a turn-around, and give good service to the local diving community for years to come.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

You may well be right there. However, in this challenging economy, even some of the ones that are very good business people are experiencing quite a bit of frustration....especially some inland shops that don't have a natural "summer" draw.

I think the email might well have been an attempt at a clever way to announce a sale, while still making it clear that this sale REALLY needs to work if he is going to stay around. Unlike others, I don't automatically wish the store owner would walk away and "save" consumers from himself. Maybe he can have a successful sale, create the beginnings of a turn-around, and give good service to the local diving community for years to come.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Agree. My point in posting this was as a shot across the bow to others that may be feeling the same way and show how not to do it. I don't know if he's really having a sale or not. I probably won't be going by for a few reasons:
1) I don't know if there is a sale or not
2) I don't really need anything
3) I don't like to be guilted into doing something, even if it's in my best interest

I hope he sticks around. He's close by and and the other really close by shop hasn't left me with the warm fuzzies either. Mike at Dive Right In is in the area and he's great, but he's 30 minutes away at least, so not the kind of place I'll drop in last minute.

Why don't you just call the guy on the telephone. In one or two minutes you'll have your answer. Sheesh!!

What's a telephone and why should I call someone to tell them I didn't understand his email 100% and that there are others who are confused as well...
Posted via Mobile non-telephonic Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom