Nikon L20 in L18 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We recently purchased an L18 kit with the AF35 that had been in stock at our local dive shop for some time. The price was right and since the L18 looks exactly like the current L20 which is a better camera I assumed that I could just go to WallyMart and pick up an L20 for $120 should I want to upgrade or should damage occur. I've recently done the homework I should have done first :dork2: and notice that Ikelite has a different part number for the current L20 housing.

So my question is does the L20 fit correctly with access to all the controls or should I look for a spare L18 before the last of them are gone? Other options to make an L20 fit, maybe with access to only power zoom and shutter buttons? Dimensionally the L20 appears to be exactly the same as the L18 and without having put the two side by side it appears that the housing is actually the same which means the buttons are in the same place.

Knowing that it would void any warranty is it close enough that a couple of minutes with a dremel on the ribs of the case would make it fit or should I just keep trying to find someone who still has an L18 in stock so I can have a spare? I guess I'm saying I don't mind grinding down the ribs by a mm or two but don't want to find out that the lens doesn't line up with the port afterwards.

I just double-checked the differences between the two cameras/housings. You could definitely mill out the ribs to make the camera/controls line up but the lens would be quite off-center in the port.

So I recommend looking for that second L18!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Not the answer I was hoping for but very helpful and informative. Love the product so far and it's gotten us some great pictures already. When/if I'm ready to take my D300 underwater I'll definitely be looking at the Ikelite product line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom