Beaufort SC Diver looking for local dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murfef

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm fairly new to diving, the few dives I do have, have all been in FL. I was wondering if there is anywhere around here thats has good diving. I would even like to do some river diving but I don't know which ones, where or when. Also, looking for some people to do the diving with. I have two buddies that dive but we are usually on different schedules!! Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there neighbor! Diving offshore here in Savannah is an AOW dive due to currents and visibility. The rivers can also be considered advanced dives due to the same issues. I head to Florida as much as I can and would be happy to contact you when I am heading down again. I love to do the drift dives down at Jupiter. The dives I do are with nitrox with depths about 100'. If you want to hook up for any diving, let me know. I don't mind going to the springs or helping you with any skills you would like to improve.

Carolyn:shark2:

I figured as much with the river diving. I'd like to do it one day though. I would love to go with you down to Florida sometime. Of course money is always the issue when going on a trip like that. As long as I have time to plan I could probably do it. Thats why I'm looking for somewhere closer where I wouldn't have to worry about gas money, hotel money, eating out money etc.
Definantly let me know whenever you have anything coming up and I'll see if I can make the trip. I have an addiction!!! I am NITROX certified as well.
Thanks alot.

I was also wondering, you might know. I've looked all over ScubaBoard and everywhere else and there doesn't seem to be a Local Dive Club. If there isn't, I'm thinking of starting one, not that I know anything about it but......

We have one with our dive shop. Team Scubamarket USA. www.divegeorgia.com. The shop is located on the South Side of Savannah off I-95. We are just getting coordinated and I would be happy to pass info on trips etc. You are always welcome at our shop! Also, we have our own pool, so if you would like to hook up to work on stuff, please feel free to let me know!

When it comes to diving in FL, I am definitely the budget kind of girl. So, I always am on the cheap for hotels, camping, bringing my own food etc. :wink:

Carolyn:shark2:

I know this is a late addition to this post but I was out of town. Or, rather in your area. I frequently go down to Fripp Island (which is where I spent the last week). I have found a link to several artificial reefs that the SC DNR maintains. You can find these at the DNR website. (The webmaster will not allow me to post the URL. If you contact me I will give it to you).
I have not dived on these sites extensively as a matter of fact I have only been on Fripp Island Reef once, 7/15/09. Therefore, I can't present myself as an expert in the Fripp Island area. What I did find last wednesday was similar to what Lives4sharks describes: low vilibility and good current. Fripp Island reef depth is about 50'; visibility was 8-10' last wednesday. We were unable to get an anchor to hold, so coming up the anchor chain may not be an option on a given day. (On that dive I actually found three anchors that others had cut free) So, from that one experience I would put it in the advanced category. However, once you feel comfortable with your buoyancy and low visibility experience, I'd be glad to hook up with you and try some of these sites. And to Lives4sharks, I've been told by multiple people that there are sharks in the St. Helena Sound. I've heard people talk about shark fishing in the sound and off Edisto Beach. Another diver toldme that they ran into tiger sharks on artificial reef 6HI off of Hunting Island, SC. I was told that the sharks were not acting agressive, but I respect the diver and his advice. If you're interested in these sites let me know, I would like to find others who are interested in diving near the Fripp Island area.

no worries about a late reply, I get email notifications so I don't miss anything. Thanks for your info. I'm leaving today, heading down to FL. Gonna hit a couple of springs on Thur and Fri and some boat dives on Sat and Sun. Plan on doing some reef dives Sat and then on Sun we're going on a wreck and the "Aqua Zoo". Should be lots of fun. I'm very excited. Also gonna be doing some stuff to start working on my advance, so hopefully I'll be diving with you all soon.

It was great diving with you, Murf! You are WELL on your way to Advanced. Kudos on some excellent dives!

BulblMaker -- Hey! I'm heading down to fripp early august... are you still diving in the area?? I am hoping to get a dive or two in when I am in the area... Any suggestions or connections???

Thanks!

Murfef
I live in Beaufort and dive pretty regularly. I've dove most of the artificial reefs and used to river dive regularly for teeth, bottles, and fossils. Let me know if you have any questions about diving in the low country. There are more divers/spearo's than you think are around here. Most of our trips are planned the night before due to the weather/wind and offshore blow.

Back
Top Bottom