A strange question!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just reading the thread on the Underwater Hotel and I remembered reading about getting married underwater!!!!

Now this could have been a very abstact dream as my dreams tend to be a tad strange...but I rarely dream about reading so I thought I would ask the masses!

Do underwater marriages actually take place? If so, how, where and how much???

This could be a clever way to get my mum into a wetsuit...she has always said she wouldnt miss my wedding for anything...i wonder if that includes fish???

I saw an underwater wedding once on a wedding story (this show on TLC). The ceremony was in Florida where they have that statue of Jesus. It was pretty neat. The justice of the peace had the vows written on a slate and then after everyone was done reading them the couple took out their regs and kissed. After that they had their reception on the dive boat.

A couple of our locals were married at the Seattle Aquarium. I think the maid of honor was an octopus & the best man a wolf eel...

-kate

Do Underwater marriages only take place in the US?

NOPE, there are some nice pictures at the Buddy Dive Shop of a couple getting wed off the house reef at Buddy Dive in Bonaire. Local DM was the best man, not sure who the preacher was.

yes U/W marriages occur and from what I unnerstand most dive shops in the Keys can put you in touch with who you need to talk to.

Good luck!!

Hey Abbie - no, not just in the US - in Thailand last year I think we had the largest mass underwater wedding ceremony (it's in Guiness) on Valentines Day... I believe 30 couples were all married at the same time. The Tourism Authority of Thailand is still promoting them, I believe...

Had to laugh at the thought of getting MY mum into a wetsuit and under water to attend my wedding - NOT!

:D

Alison, had to do a double take on your post. It almost sounds like they got married IN Guiness... which would actually be the ultimate low viz dive heh TexasMike!

No cheating and swallowing the beer though, cause if everyone did that real fast the beer-line would decrease along with pressure, and all of the divers would risk getting bent! What? Hey a guy's gotta have a dream too ya know!:D

A few years back, we (my wife and I) put on an underwater wedding for a couple that met in one of our scuba classes. The minister also took a class at the same time. We had a special white wetsuit made up for her and a black one with a white v-pattern to look like a tux made up for him. The rings were mounted on garters and were worn on their wrists and both of them along with the minister were rigged up with wireless communications so they could hear and speak. We also had a receiver on the dock for the 100 or so guests as well as a video monitor so all could hear and see what was going on. It was held at Harper Dock in Washington State and we built a platform in front of some old bumper pilings that were covered with giant plumose anemones. A local Seattle news team was there and we even had a story on Evening Magazine.

The wedding cost the bride an groom nothing ... it was our gift to them. But if you had to pay for everything involved, it would run about $6000 (a lot less than most weddings anymore!).

It was a blast!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom