the Five Foot Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday... was Tuesday... so Curt and I met for a dive as usual.

Viz has been horrible above 50' and I wasn't expecting it had changed... I was wrong... it was worse.

We went in at slack and after a short suface swim decided to descend and follow the bottom on down. Zero viz all the way.

Finding the bottom we followed it down to 84' where the viz opened up to 3 feet or so.

We were met by a strong current (this site has some unusual currents that do not correspond to tide tables.)

We continued to race across the bottom with the current dodging Lion's Manes for about 15 minutes until I finally thumbed the dive.

At the surface we swam toward shore and then decided to drop down to see if we could catch a counter current back to our point of entry.

It was only 5' deep, the viz was fairly good and there was no current.

We spent the next 15 minutes on the Five Foot Snorkel and had a great time watching all the little critters folks normally miss.

Maybe it IS time to pull the'ol snorkel back out...

By the way, UP, where were you diving?

What kind of snorkel did you use?

Uncle Pug means the primary regulator hose connected to his tank - "the 5 foot snorkel". He's poking humor at the fact that they were in such shallow water ... where usually only snorkelers tread.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Uncle Pug means the primary regulator hose connected to his tank - "the 5 foot snorkel".

You can try again, though. :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...east end of the tank farm at Mukilteo.

BTW... my 5' snorkel is on a 36" hose.

I stand corrected; sorry DiverBuoy. I expected to see a setup with a Bamboo snorkel. :D

Disappointed,

Rick

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Uncle Pug means the primary regulator hose connected to his tank - "the 5 foot snorkel". He's poking humor at the fact that they were in such shallow water ... where usually only snorkelers tread.
I was hoping he didn't mean a garden hose.

Since Bren and I do a lot of that type of diving, but I guessed he had a 5' hose on his reg..... never woulda' guessed he was using a 36" hose with what looks to be a 45 or 90 degree offset on it. We use a 45 offset even on the 5 footers just cause it sets so easy on your back and doesn't tend to pull the reg out of the mouth.
There's so much to see just below the surface, UP! Life is good.

tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom