Changing fitting on an AIR 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm trying to change the fitting on an AIR 2 to a standard fitting so I can you the same inflator hose for it and a standard inflator. Is this possible and if so, how?

And, if not, can I change the fitting on a standard inflator to the one that is on an AIR 2?

Basically, I've devised a way to use my right post reg for doubles and singles without changing any hoses as long as I can get the same fittings on my two different inflators.

Thanks for the help,

Ben

I seem to recall seeing parts in SP schematics that showed optional attachments for the SP std inflator including the Air2 type male connector. I'll look in my documentation tonight.

In theory (meaning I never really looked too closely) the fittings are different to allow greater air flow to support its use as a regulator and inflator. Assuming that is true, I would buy an adapator that allows the AIR2 hose to work with a standard inflator (thats what I have). Trident sells one and its like $5 to $10....probably cheaper than trying to make the others and you can just throw it in your Save-A-Dive Kit.

Otter

First option is convert your Air2 hose end to the std 626 inflator. Part # 21-080-626 will do the job. It has an Air2 connector male fitting and a 626 inflator female fitting. Sounds like the way to go.

Option 2 is, as I thought, the 626 inflator male fitting on the SP balanced inflator can be replaced with an Air2 male fitting. The part # is 21-626-080. This route looks like it should be a bit cheaper but only works on the inflator that you convert.

I pulled this info from 12/97 scubapro schematics for the balanced inflator 21-626-000.

Thanks Awap, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Now the question is, do those parts replace the fitting on the AIR2/std inflator or are they a converter that goes between the hose and the AIR2/std inflator? I was hoping for a replacement fitting, but I'd be happy with a fitting converter too.

Thanks again for your help.

Ben

The first option is an attachment. Std air2 hose take the atachment and results in a 626 connector for a std inflator. Clearly a user task with no tools required.

Second option is a replacement of the 626 male connector with an air2 male connector. I believe it is a screw in but I have never dealt with one (I didn't see any other means of attachment like a c-clip in the schematic). Probably tools and a bit more skill required than option 1.

The replacement fitting would have to go on the inflator, not the air2. The Air2 male fitting on the regulator can not be changed. The air2 type fitting allows for more gas flow than a std 626 fitting. A 626 connector might not provide enough gas to allow breathing so the Air2 hose and connector will need to stay in your setup.

Ok, so I'm checking the McMaster-Carr website to maybe find the fitting, but it looks like all of them are about the same, any possible way you could help me out with that one?

Thanks alot :)

Ben

http://www.mcmaster.com/

(fourth one from the bottom under the first heading "Pipe Fittings and Pipe, Tubing and Fittings, Hose and Fittings", click on "Quick Disconnect Hose Couplings ")

I use an AIR2 on my open water rig and I've always been told that the extra large hose and connector was there to provide sufficient airflow when you're breathing off of it. If you look at the air hole in a standard inflator it's a lot smaller than the passage provided by the AIR2. Because of that I personally wouldn't feel too safe using a smaller hose or smaller standard inflator connector.

I do use an adaptor or my large diameter AIR2 hose to connect to a standard inflator on my pool BC. I don't really like the clunkiness of it but it's better than changing out the inflator hose every time I do a pool class and I figure I can deal with the clunkiness in 10 feet of water so that I have the peace of mind of the nice big fat hose and connector when I'm at 130 feet in open water.

awap:
First option is convert your Air2 hose end to the std 626 inflator. Part # 21-080-626 will do the job. It has an Air2 connector male fitting and a 626 inflator female fitting. Sounds like the way to go.

Option 2 is, as I thought, the 626 inflator male fitting on the SP balanced inflator can be replaced with an Air2 male fitting. The part # is 21-626-080. This route looks like it should be a bit cheaper but only works on the inflator that you convert.

I pulled this info from 12/97 scubapro schematics for the balanced inflator 21-626-000.
Does anyone know where I can purchase the valve seat rubber ring for my Scubapro balanced power inflator 21-626-000

Back
Top Bottom