Leaking mask, eyebrows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delray.piper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now I know that this title is a bit strange, but I have been having a serious problem with a leaking mask. I got a new mask that I had had prescription lenses put in. I got the mask just as we began a bunch of rescue diver and divemaster classes. The mask leaked, but I attributed to the thrashing around that we were doing during these classes.

Then I went on a purely recreational dive and the bloody mask leaked like a sieve. I couldn't fix it on the dive, so when I got home, I tried it, using the usual put in on your face and sucking in, and had no problems on dry land. Next week another recreational dive and the same problem. I was not amused. Prescription lenses are expensive and can't be moved to another mask. I complaned bitterly to my wife and she said, "Have you considered that you have very bushy eyebrows and that may be the problem?" I kind of ignored the comment since my wife is not a diver. A couple of days later I was standing in front of the mirror and I realised my eyebrows really were very bushy and did stand up pretty high over my brow. So, I picked up the shears and whacked off the offending eyebrows.

The next dive, no leaks whatsoever. :shocked2: I must confess I was amazed. But I have had no problems since then.

I took my wife out to dinner.:D

Better tell Andy Rooney to cancle his Open Water class.

Between eyebrows and mustache it's a constant battle for me..... I usually give them both a quick touch-up before I head out on a dive.

Well, I don't have bushy eyebrows, but I do have alot of hair. Even pulling it back in a pontail will render some "strays" that get caught in the mask. Thank God for a buddy who does a "hair check" on me before I roll in the water.

Well, I don't have bushy eyebrows, but I do have alot of hair. Even pulling it back in a pontail will render some "strays" that get caught in the mask. Thank God for a buddy who does a "hair check" on me before I roll in the water.

Thank God again if you have one that warns you of boogies and snot afterwards. :popcorn:

I'm not THAT lucky. I am told he would be responsible for the hair but draws the line there. Hard to find good buddies these days. LOL!

You can also tame moustaches and, presumably, eyebrows with a dab of silicone grease, the type used to lubricate O-rings.

Jeff

Glad you found an answer! But you should know that eyebrows often don't grow back once cut. That's why we never shave them to suture lacerations or do facial surgery.

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you. For those of you who were curious, I managed to find the before picture.

Eyebrows%20Bushy%200066.jpg

:joke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom