What has Scubaboard done for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past three years on the board, I've learned a lot of new things.
-I've learned some of the basics about tanks and regulators. Lots of good resources on how to care for and service regulators and tanks.
-My DIY side was nurtured, making spools, lights, wings...
-I've gained some insight into the dive industry, from things as mundane like tipping, all the way to the battle between LDS and the internet.
- I've picked up a lot of safety pearls from the accidents and incidents section, that no matter how remote a possibilty, ch!t happens.
- I've both adapted and adopted the techniques and styles from a multitude of posters - finding the right mix for me. I've run the equipment gamut, from jacket with airsource2, to BP/W with airsource, then back to back-up regulator. Tried my old jacket recently, but went back to the plate. I've gone from composite fins (thermoplastic and rubber), to plain old mares planas, then jets. tried the planas again recently, went back to jets. The major reason for me shifting to a longer primary was that there was less tension on the mouthpiece when it was configured right, although with the advent of miflex, this reason seems superfluous.

Picture1.jpg

Photo on the left taken on the day I got certified 3 years ago, with gear rented from the resort. Photo on the right taken recently, with my warm water configuration.
Changes: Though my gear selection has improved, for some reason, the smile seems to have changed, and I look a lot older. And fatter.

What has the board done for you?

1. It has given me a group of people to diver with, and has helped me grow socially

2. Has given me much knowledge of the type of diver I want to be.

3. Has re-enforced my opinion that there is no universal, all inclusive, absolute answers when you add a person to the mix.

4. Has taught me that regardless of your experiances once in a while you find a pearl of wisdom from an unexpected source...

1. Now I rest assured I won't struggle to have a dive buddy anywhere I go; some I just can't wait to meet.

2. Enormous help during my DM course (credit belongs especially to Joe-Diver).

When I started diving, SB posters answered quite a few questions I had which I couldn't get answered anywhere else, beanaz I live land-locked, have hardly any aquaintances who are divers and only go diving once a month. It's been very informative and interesting.

Besides being an endless source of diving information on equipment, travel and technique, I was introduced to some of the finest divers I could wish for, in skill and personality and generosity. By example and instruction, I was shown better ways to dive. I've also met fine people in my travels who, with kindness and generosity, have taken me on beach dives, boat dives, and out to dinner.

The best think about SB are the people.

Besides being an endless source of diving information on equipment, travel and technique, I was introduced to some of the finest divers I could wish for, in skill and personality and generosity. By example and instruction, I was shown better ways to dive. I've also met fine people in my travels who, with kindness and generosity, have taken me on beach dives, boat dives, and out to dinner.

The best think about SB are the people.

Same here!

++++ Info on traveling, where to stay, what to see, etc. With SB I know I never have to go someplace "blind" and hope for the best. No matter where you are going, someone from SB has already "been there, dove that" and are happy to share their experiences with you.

The best thing SB has done for me so far is get me back into the water after an unsettling incident. Many folks here have helped me realize the mistakes I made (trust dives, not staying within my limits and comfort zone) and given me great advice on how to overcome the subsequent anxiety.

I'm in a "dry" period now but still come here often to learn about equipment and prepare my next dive trip... Whenever that may be.

I've done some great networking! Dive ops, divers etc.

I've learned some good product related information from people that actually USE the products in real environment as opposed to controlled situations! (good and bad)

I feel that I can help based upon some of my experience, and have been helped based upon the experience of others. (technique, equimpent and travel wise)

I've learned from the mistakes of others in the Accidents and Indicents forum.

Where else can you ask John Chatterton a question about U-869, or Mike Barnette about a specific obscure Florida Wreck, or Cameron Martz about a specific excercise to get rid of cramps?

It has widened my circle of friends to dive with and I have dive with dozens of people I never would of had the privilege to dive with.

Insights into the mindsets of gear sellers and buyers have been very interesting.

It is the best way to stay current about the diving industry.

Keeps my interest in diving high and most of all it is fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom