Djibouti diving - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
Seeking some good diving for the end of the year for just one week (from Europe).
I thought about Djibouti, famous for whale sharks at that time of the year.
Are there other sharks or dolphins frequently seen? Some reports suggested the sharks had been fished, others said they saw quite a few sharks other than whale sharks.
How about currents and sea conditions?
Any advice on boats would be appreciated as well.

Cheers,
Liberty

I dive regularly in Djibouti it is GREAT!!!

The best period is from October to January, at that time the weather is simply PERFECT and of course you can see the Whale Sharks.

Other than that you have the best Diving Centre in Djibouti with cheap courses under PADI and FFESSM/CMAS. The best diving instructors from Djibouti and around the world.

They have two diving Centres, one on Moucha Island (they are the only ones on the Island so private!) and another one on the luxurious Kempinski 5 stars hotel.

They have 2 dives a day every single day!!! you can leave Djibouti at 08:30 for a dive and come back at 12:30 or leave for a fun dive at 14:00 and come back to Djibouti at 17:30!!!

You can also do 2 dives a day and have lunch at the great restaurant on Moucha Island or enjoy several days of diving by sleeping in Moucha Island in one of their 19 Air conditionned fully equipped bungalows!!!

I simply LOVE that diving centre and of course I recomend it to EVERYBODY!!!

Give them a call or drop an email to have the week packages during Whale Shark season or to visit the 7 BROTHERS!!!

Discover the land of gods!!!

djiboutidivers.com - djiboutidivers.net -
Find the manager on facebook: LUC POIRIER

Check the centre out via videos on Youtube!

EMAILS: lfjpoirier@intnet.dj - luc@djiboutidivers.com

Visibility 10 meters at time where you see whale sharks
Some interesting nudibranches no other big fish to report no turtles either seen during my week liveaboard
The place is extremely basic the best thing is to dive from a liveaboard as on shore there is not much to do at all

Well...
let's say: :no:

I dive normally on sites at about 20 minutes from Djibouti City so yes lets say on shore:

You can see turtles even from the boat!
Well, turtles.. you normally see rays "pastenague" blue dots? and mobula in bands up to 50!
Around Moucha & Maskali Ilsand you can often spot dolphins and at about 7 meters 10 minutes away from Moucha Island get ready for sharks "pointe balnche" recif sharks? sorry I do not know the name in english!

You also have a diversity of "murene" eel?, leopard and javanese are often spoted.

mmmm... well then of course the usual baracudas, napoleon and in the wreck called "Faon" you have the greatest diversity of small and big fishes I have ever seen.

I personally enjoy the dives in Djibouti... been here for 2 years and my last dive was 2 days ago...

Yes I did see 1 (one) whitetip sharks

To be honest Djibouti gives you great experiences with Whale sharks and some interesting small things but there is not a lot of pelagic action in general
The whale shark trip is worth it anyway take into account you will be snorkelling not diving with them but it is great anyway

Back
Top Bottom