Why not marry an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There was a thread earlier that asked if you "would marry a SCUBA Instructor".

Surely this is an Innocuous question. Why on earth wouldn't you marry a SCUBA Instructor? Is there a difference between a person who teaches SCUBA compared to say a shift worker or a bank clerk, or an office worker?

I don't get it. What am I missing? Is there something about SCUBA Instructors that I haven't been told? Do they harbor dark secrets that the rest of us don't have? Help me out.......

Coogeeman

Our minds are permanently bent!

We have toe fungus!

We have to use make-up to cover our gills!

We tend to do safety stops after meals!

We check our gas gauges every five minutes!

We do safety checks before every date!

We keep using lights to signal our mates in the theater.

We refer to it as "decompressing some pop-corn".

We always allow our sodas to off-gas!

We even allow ourselves to off-gas!

We only talk in acronyms or hand signals!

Too late, I already married one. Well, she became one later.
Both of us very intelligently picked the two careers gauranteed to keep us poor the rest of our lives: musicians and scuba instructors!

I know some awfully shallow women who measure the desirability of a man by the number of zeros in his paycheck. You're not likely to be able to afford jewlery for your expensive, trophy wife on an instructor's salary.

who judge a woman by the size of her "memories" as well as women who judge a male diver by how deep he can do it. I'm still looking for the woman who will judge me on staying power... I've gotten 2 hr 36 min off a single tank without even trying.

I'd love to marry (or have an LTR with) a woman who took SCUBA that seriously and was willing to sacrifice financial security for her passion (diving that is). I think she'd be far more compatible with my values and passion. Besides, I'd get deep discounts on my equipment.

Dr. Bill

My wife married me underwater...Luycaya Bahamas...22 years ago. Sons are now 20 & 18...I guess it can work

Okay...I'm begining to get the picture. So its a money issue then. But surely there are industries that pay a lot less than the dive industry?

And why does the dive indusrty pay so little? Gear goes up in price every year, CPI still attacks us year after year. Are the dive store owners saying that the profits are just not there?

If dive instructors are getting paid (and I know it to be the case in Australia) what they were getting paid 10 years ago, then in effect they are getting paid a great deal less because CPI is averaging 3% per annum.

This is really sad!

1) Money
2) Lack of free weekends

Not that those are deal breakers, but things to take into consideration...

Life insurance can be a hassle.

If something happens to me then the life insurance will put up a fight and my wife might miss her next dive trip or not get get enough to do the live-aboards that she's planning.

NetDoc once bubbled...
Our minds are permanently bent!
We have toe fungus!
We have to use make-up to cover our gills!
We tend to do safety stops after meals!
We check our gas gauges every five minutes!
We do safety checks before every date!
We keep using lights to signal our mates in the theater.
We refer to it as "decompressing some pop-corn".
We always allow our sodas to off-gas!
We even allow ourselves to off-gas!
We only talk in acronyms or hand signals!

No one would take an interest to that individual, even though the description fits many. :D

If you take care of the "toe fungus" the rest is manageable. Just don't off-gas under the covers. :wacko: R

Back
Top Bottom