SCUBA law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, Guys,

Just curious; are there any states in the US where it is illegal for an uncertified diver to dive? The reason I ask is, last week my cousin was visiting from Florida and he was telling me that Florida has a state law requiring divers to be certified. I told him I didn't think any state has a law regarding certification but he insisted that Florida does. What's the real deal?

I don't think any "State" has a cert law. I do know that there are certain dive sites (dive parks) that have specific ordinances that require certification. Some have buddy laws or, for a while at Laguna, even snorkel laws. But state laws? I think, no.

There are no state laws requiring certificaiton. There are local ordinances requiring various stuff, I would not doubt if there were one, somewhere, that required certificaiton.

im pretty sure FL doesnt have any laws reguarding it, im not positive though. I suppose there may be a reckless endangerment they may be able to pin on you and possibly him if anything would happen and the cops wanted to be jerks. I do know that certain parks require your certified and that you cant get fills without being certified. Also your cousin wont be able to go on a charter for the liability reasons.

Where in Florida is your cousin from? If he is from the Keys there is a good chance there may be a law or ordinance regarding the state parks and preserves.

You wont be able to rent gear or tanks without a valid C-Card.

My cousin lives in Deltona. He has no interest in diving himself. I was telling him of my sons' desire to learn SCUBA and he told me of the supposed certification law. I told him I didn't think there was such a law but he was adamant that there is.

I dove for more than a decade uncertified, but I had an experienced teacher. I would not advise anyone to just grab some gear and dive with it. That is a good way to commit suicide or to cripple yourself for life.

He has no interest in diving himself.

prob just misinformed, alot of bad info floating around this plant, y'know

Back
Top Bottom