Cypress Springs Update 7-12-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took my wife and kids canoeing today (7-12-09) down Holmes Creek to check out conditions at Cypress Springs and Becton Springs and just enjoy the day. The creek was definitely up from all of the rain. Once we took the second left towards Cypress Springs, the dark tannic water lightened up a bit and I could finally see the bottom although the water was still quite brown. Once we were about 60 feet or more from the basin there was a distinct separation from tannic to crystal clear water and from that point on the conditions were just perfect. The basin was just ridiculously clear and pristine. I was silently cursing the fact that my sinuses are still a bit stuffed up from the end of a head cold which prevented me from taking my gear :shakehead:. After a bit of swimming and eating lunch we headed over to Becton to see how it was looking. The basin at Becton was totally crapped out. The flow isn’t as strong here and the recent rains have made this site non-divable until the waters recede a bit (unless you just enjoy diving blind). The minute my sinuses clear I am definitely heading back to Cypress to take some pictures.

Becton really isn't gonna clear up until the water levels are low, then you'll get better than 30'. At average waterlevels, you'll be lucky to get 20-30' visibility in the basin around the vents, and much less away from vents.

Cypress is nearly always a great dive though :) Thanks for the report

Let's go Walter...there is no such thing as taking a bad picture at Cypress. How is the new canoe working out??

I took my wife and kids canoeing today (7-12-09) down Holmes Creek to check out conditions at Cypress Springs and Becton Springs and just enjoy the day. The creek was definitely up from all of the rain. Once we took the second left towards Cypress Springs, the dark tannic water lightened up a bit and I could finally see the bottom although the water was still quite brown. Once we were about 60 feet or more from the basin there was a distinct separation from tannic to crystal clear water and from that point on the conditions were just perfect. The basin was just ridiculously clear and pristine. I was silently cursing the fact that my sinuses are still a bit stuffed up from the end of a head cold which prevented me from taking my gear :shakehead:. After a bit of swimming and eating lunch we headed over to Becton to see how it was looking. The basin at Becton was totally crapped out. The flow isn’t as strong here and the recent rains have made this site non-divable until the waters recede a bit (unless you just enjoy diving blind). The minute my sinuses clear I am definitely heading back to Cypress to take some pictures.

I was just at Cypress for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago & loved it. Took a bunch of photos & video. I may be heading back this week for more!

How is the new canoe working out??

The canoe worked out great. We made it to Cypress in about 35 minutes. Unfortunately my head cold just won't let up. I went to the doctor this morning and got some antibiotics. Hopefully things will clear up and we can make a trip out there soon.

Get that mess cleared up....you need to quit letting all those prisoners infect you with that junk!:D

The canoe worked out great. We made it to Cypress in about 35 minutes. Unfortunately my head cold just won't let up. I went to the doctor this morning and got some antibiotics. Hopefully things will clear up and we can make a trip out there soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom