Canon SX200 IS housing (6148.20)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am considering purchasing a Canon SX200 and your 6148.20 housing. However, I am concerned about the built-in flash use.

From your website: "A portion of the camera's built-in flash is blocked by the lens port resulting in darkness in the lower right hand portion of the image."

I would like to see samples of photos taken with the SX200 and your housing so I may judge for myself if I will consider it to be a problem. Can you post or send me some photos taken with this setup using only the built-in camera flash?

I have no intention of purchasing an external strobe so this issue is of importance to me.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply. That does seem to be quite an issue. Too bad, I had high hopes for that setup.

I guess it was unavoidable in the design, but still it's a shame it has to be like that.

Blackrock - I am in the same boat as you. Love the Canon SX200 IS but am really looking for something I can get housing for and not impressed by the problems with the Ikelite housing.

I have been trying to find out if Canon (or anyone else) is going to release a better housing. Have you heard anything?

Or have you come across a similar camera, same price range or cheaper with the same or better specs (fast in operation, full manual controls, x12 zoom lens, great picture quality, HD video) that has underwater housing available?

I was also looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7/DMC-ZS3 but don't like it's lack of manual controls.

This seems to be a common query so maybe Ikelite or someone else will remedy the problem.

Keep in mind that some of the desires in a camera for land use can make it less than satisfactory for underwater use. A 12x zoom lens is a nightmare in terms of blocking the flash (long lens=long lens port) and offering wide angle options (long/large port = more of the flash blocked).

The SX200's lens makes it particularly difficult to take underwater... which I suspect is the reason that Canon did not make a housing for it.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

That makes sense Jean.

cbelli - I am searching for the exact same features as you. In the same boat. I might end up going with the sx200 & Ikelite housing anyway. I might just have to crop photos I took with flash to exclude the dark region.

I will certainly post photos if I do get this setup.

Hi all,
Seems to me that this should be simple to work around for Ikelite. Couldn't Ikelite make a simple dual-mirror 'periscope' system to redirect the flash over the lens port??

The lower mirror would be at about 45 degree angle (facing between 'back' and 'up' relative to the camera) directing the flash UP and the upper mirror would be larger and direct the flash forward (facing between down where the lower mirror would be and forward where the flash is supposed to go).

Obviously the mirrors would have to be enclosed, but this seems pretty simple and it could also spread/aim the flash better than the native flash lens. This could be a simple add-on if there's anything to hold onto with the first mirror placed inside the case.

I'm sure many Ikelite users go for external strobes anyway, but a bunch! of us would love to buy such a setup.

Looks like someone else has had the idea for above-land-use in theory:
www halfbakery com/idea/Compact_20camera_20periscope [add a couple dots as I'm a new user so can't put URLs]
Halfbakery: Compact camera periscope

So Ikelite, what do you think???

Thanks for considering this ... a great camera like my new Canon SX200 deserves a decent way to take some flash pics without having to/having $ to also buy an external strobe.

Cheers,
Andreas

A mirrored design would lessen the power of the camera's already weak flash. In underwater photography your camera's flash is already limited to an effective range of 2-3 feet at best. Bouncing it off several surfaces in addition to its transmission through the polycarbonate case and the diffuser material would probably render it useless.

Keep in mind that the pictures posted of the built-in flash were taken in a dark room. Depending on the ambient light, subject and composition, the darkening in the corner of the photo may not be as noticeable.

If you are really interested in shooting a lot of photos without an external flash I would seriously consider purchasing a color correcting filter and learning how to set custom white balance.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the help Jean. Can I get a color correcting filter through Ikelite?

As far as setting custom white balance, the SX200IS is fantastic. The custom programmable button can be set to one-touch white balance set. This is worlds better than many other cameras, like the Panasonic ZS3, which makes you scroll through several menus to set the white balance.

I got a chance to put my hands on the SX200IS at Fry's. Not an attractive camera. Hate the pop-up flash. But with this feature, I'm sold.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom