Blew my mask off my face...how the!??!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am sitting at about 30 feet just relaxing, and I realized my mask was a little tight...not a lot of pressure, just a little. So I decided to equalize it a little, well when I blew through my nose I actually blew the dang mask off my face! It pop right off and slipped up, thank god for the strap, keeping it somewhat attached to my head.

Now I didn't think I blew out that much, and the mask wasn't leaking or hurting prior to my greatly failed attempt at equalizing. It was actually very comfortable, except for that little bit of pressure right before it blew off. It even kinda made the suction cup pop noise. Once I put it back on and cleared the mask the rest of the dive went fine. Anyone else have this happen? Did I just get a little zealous with my exhaling and pop it? My instructor/dive buddy thought it was kinda funny to see.

Did have a hood on. So I know it wasn't that.

Maybe the strap is too tight? It could be that the strap is so tight that it didn't allow the air to leak out until a whole bunch of air built up enough to break the suction and "popped" the mask off your face? I can blow as hard as I want out of my nose but my mask isn't going to pop off my face. The air just bubble out.

Just a WAG. but I would bet your strap was more to the top of your head and when you loosened it from your face by blowing into it the strap popped it up, or maybe the strap was very loose and the pressure diff was forcing it against your face till you equalized it and then it just floated up. either way I doubt you could repeat the trick if asked.

I actually had the same thing happen once. I did a giant stride from a fairly high dive gate on a liveaboard, about six feet (that puts the strap nearly 12 feet above the water to start). I noticed my mask leaking at about ten feet, adjusted and cleared and then continued down the mooring line. However, the leak got worse. Finally, at about 45 feet, I paused and decided to clear "once and for all". With a stout puff, I blew my mask right off just as you did! However, I was able to figure it out pretty quickly...the impact of the entry had caused my strap to ride up over my head and pressure alone was holding it on. When I equalized forcefully...pop! I caught my mask in front of me, laughingly showed it to my partner, re-donned it, cleared and headed for the bottom.

When you equalize the mask on the way down, try not to resemble a whale shark when you blow...:)

That would be really funny to see! Never had this problem and I almost always exhale through my nose when diving. What happened to me is to have my regulator pop out of my mouth (don't ask how) and starting free flowing, making it float above me. I just could not reach it and my buddy was looking at me like I was crazy not realizing what is happening :D

Many divers cut a 1/4"-1/2" hole in the top of their hood to let air from your exhaust escape.

Never seen anyone cut a hole that big!

Using a soldering iron or a red-hot nail to poke a 1/16th inch or so hole is much more realistic - and sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom