Cruise Ship Excursion or Private? St. Maarten & St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adigitek

New
Reaction score
We are looking to do a 2 tank dive in either Philipsburg St. Maarten or Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas in July while aboard the Royal Caribbean Explorer. We are newly certified Open Water divers. I'll have my new camera equipment (Canon S50 + Ikelite DS50) and I'll be looking for the dive with the best photo ops. Booking through the cruise means using Dive Safaries in St. Maarten & Underwater Safaries in St. Thomas. Are these operators any good? Cattle boats? Should I book through the cruise or try on my own? Any recommendations if I do it on my own?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I can recomend St. Thomas Diving Club (340)776-2381. I dove with them in 1998 just after a hurrican. The water was pretty stirred up but still nice with 60' to 70' vis. The boat had only two divers on it, me and a guy from California. They are only a 10 minutes from the cruise boat docks. Hope this helps.

I'd suggest that you begin by reading this edited piece on cruise ship diving from my July '00 "Dive Workshop" column of "Rodales' Scuba Diving:"

"Cruise ships are seen by many divers as despoilers of the both the environment & culture at their ports of call. The situation in Cozumel in particular is regularly lamented on several scuba bulletin boards. Nevertheless, cruising is among the fastest growing segments of the travel industry, and bigger & fancier ships are regularly launched, and new piers constructed.

These floating megaresorts generally offer scuba diving as one of many activities, but rarely is it a focal point. This places them the most removed of water borne diving, with dedicated dive live-aboards being at the top. Between these two are the smaller boats operated by the likes of the Windjammer & Law fleets, which cater to those wanting some serious diving, but also a relaxed atmosphere and other diversions. Cruise ships do afford some advantages, however, such as allowing: (1) groups with nondiving members to vacation together; (2) the diver to screen a number of locations cost-effectively and with relative ease; (3) divers who are not into a trip of hard core diving to get an N2 fix; & (4) a convenient venue for a resort course or OW certification--anything beyond this will be conduced by the shore ops.

If you decide to cruise & dive, you can: (1) go with a traditional ship and let them make the arrangements; (2) do the same but arrange for your own diving; or, (3) select a ship specifically oriented toward diving. If diving with an op arranged by the ship, it may be selected based on it's ability to adhere to the ship's schedule, the amount it kicks back, and other factors not related to getting the best diving. If good diving is a priority, you often will be best served by making your own arrangements prior to the cruise. This can require some effort due to the ship's need to keep a tight schedule. It may dock after most dive boats have gone out in the AM, and may depart before others return in the PM. In addition, cruise ship piers are often some distance from the areas where the best diving is located. Definitely make advanced booking if you decide to select your own op.

Princess, Celebrity and Windstar are among your best choices in dive oriented lines. On board dive centers have instructors, and offer at least a resort course, with other certs handled by the on shore op. They endeavor to get you to the better sites with the better shops at any particular port of call, although for very experienced divers they often are not the most advanced sites or personalized ops. Dive gear is typically available on board, and, if not, can be obtained from the local shop. Some ships include gear in the price of the dives, typically $80-90 for a two tank trip, but some charge for rental. Best to check beforehand if looking to save a few bucks, but remember that schlepping your gear from room to shore op everyday, and storing/drying it your cabin, can be a hassle. Also, some ships have odd rules, such as wanting a logbook as well as c-card, or requiring a refresher a course if you haven't dived a while.

Bottom line is, cruise ships are not dedicated dive venues, and will not satisfy those who want nothing but dive, dive, dive or advanced diving. They do, however, provide an opportunity to get in a few dives and several locations while enjoying the other amenities of this type of vacation."

If you are going to dive either St. Martin or St. Thomas, I'd go with St. Thomas. If you want to line up your own op, check out Chris Sawyer Diving Center http://www.sawyerdive.vi.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Make you check to see what time you get into port. I had arrangements all set to dive the Rhone, then found out our ship wasn't due in Charlotte Amalie until 9:00am, and couldn't be guaranteed that we could get off in time to make the 9:30am charter on the other side of the island.

Marc

Diving while on a cruise was "ok" not great and when we go again, it will be not under the cruise ships guidelines.

I dove with Dive Safaries in St. Maarten. The reefs were ok, but beat up some and not a lot of wildlife. The shop did a adequate job, but not worthy of more mention than that.

We later snorkeled with another family off a chartered boat in St. Thomas and had a wonderful time, even with a bunch of kids. Because they did more what we wanted to do.

One important thing, the cruise ship planned direction is geared for the newer and inexperienced diver. Which is not a bad thing, just know it up front.

We made the same two stops in January when on board Celebrity. I did as much reseach on the internet as I could and contacted several dive operators on each island. I picked Dive Safaris on St.Maarten and found out that they were the ones that the cruiseship uses anyway. A pretty good dive first on an OLD wreck and then a reef dive to a place they called the fishbowl. When I was there, the reef seemed to be in pretty good shape and the vis was really excellent (I'm fresh water diving now and anything over 50 feet is unheard of...) The Dive Safari operation was professional and easy to deal with. I would recommend them and will use them again if on St. Maarten.

On St. Thomas, I really recommend Blue Island Divers in the Crown Bay Marina. Do a web search and make a reservation with them. They bring their dive boat out to the pier at Haversite and pick you up on the land end of the pier where your cruiseship will be tying up. An older boat, a little rough around the edges, but I have NEVER been treated better. Divemaster knew his business, a complete briefing, and good instructions about each of the dives. We did the navy barges in the harbor and then a reef dive at the far side of the harbor mouth. The water was pretty bumpy, but we had two good dives with very little surge. Vis was good, depths were around 60 or less for each of the dives. I really look forward to getting back down there to dive with those guys! So much of a good experience is the attitude of the folks you are diving with, and these guys are the greatest.

Drop me a message if you need more info, and I'll find links to the dive operators I have mentioned.

I would sugest setting up something on your own especially if you want to do photography, nothing ruins picture ops like 10 other divers bouncing off the bottom. I spent a week diving with st thomas dive club and had a great time.

underwater safaris is a cattle boat operation. no offense to anybody on the board that dives with them, but its the truth. chris sawyer is a decent operation - and i would add that DiveIn! over at the sapphire beach hotel over in red hook will get you to some of the more interesting dive sites.

:doctor: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: For St Maarten, check out Ocean Explorers. (www.stmaartendiving.com). I am using Dive Safaries for my diving for my advanced open water cert, but may try the other shops on the Island for day trips. We will be on the Island for a week in Oct, 2003.
Barry

I would suggest diving on BVI rather than St. Marteen. Dive Safari is nice operation and nice boats but the dives are very shallow there and not much to see. I mean it's better than just laying on the beach.....unless it's Orient Beach, but BVI will be better diving..........IMNSHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom