Dive Report: Great weekend in PCB 07/11-07/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalik

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a great weekend of diving this weekend. Departed from the dock at 0800 headed out to the Commander. We trolled for wahoo on the way out but only got a couple of kings. Im not complaining they still eat good. We splashed on the Commander at around 1000 and descended. The water was beautiful till the last 20 feet and there was a little merk layer. Still a beautiful dive as alwaysI shot an AJ and my buddy got the biggest trigger I have ever seen. Dive time and depth were 97 feet for 31 minutes with 5 minutes on our half stop in addition to our safety stop. About 1 &1/2 hours later while trolling again I noticed a spot on the bottom machine, so we decided to bounce it looking for shovelnose. It was concrete culverts in a pile in 80 feet of water. We didnt see any shovelnose but I did get a red snapper. On the way in we stopped at the Red Sea because there were no boats on it, we were very lucky. The top of the wheelhouse sets at about 45 feet while it is 70 or so feet to the sand. It was loaded up with baitfish and the viz was absolutely fantastic. We stayed down for about 30 minutes before running out of time. This is definately a do again. Sunday rolled around and we were off at 0830 trolling for wahoo again. The Gulf was absolutely flat, no wind whatsoever. We got out by the Black Bart and saw that there was nobody on it. VERY UNUSUAL Any way I jumped in tied in to the wheel house and when I did I saw the biggest Goliath Grouper I have seen in 20 years. It just followed us around like a big puppy. That dive lasted for 38 minutes with a max depth on 76 feet. Since there was still nobody on it we stayed for 2. While on SI we saw 6 barracuda swimming around just under the surface and tons of AJ. On the second dive the Goliath followed us again just like we hadnt left. Another wonderful dive.It lasted for 37 minutes at a max depth of 74 feet I have logged over a hundred dives on the Black Bart as have most locals and this one was in the top 10. We never got any wahoo but limited on king, red snapper both days.

Attachments

• Black Bart 007.jpg
    Black Bart 007.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 43
  • red sea pics 020.jpg
    red sea pics 020.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 49
  • red sea pics 026.jpg
    red sea pics 026.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom