Need help deciding a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
These seem to fit the budget for my first liveaboard ...

1.Blackbeard
2. Ultimate Getaway (to Dry Tortugas)

There is plenty of info on Blackbeard but has anyone heard anything about the Dry Tortugas liveaboard called the Ultimate Getaway? I am thinking whether to do the Blackbeard or Ultimate Getaway so please bombard me with your thoughts.

Regards,

Sea Hound

Are you referring to the M/V Spree for the Dry Tortugas trip?? If not, I'd definitely look at them. They used to do the Flower Gardens in the Gulf off the Texas coast and generally got excellent reviews. I've not been on a trip with them yet, but am doing a 6 days Keys trip with them next month via singlediver.com.

They are certainly not the comfort level of Aggressor or PH, but for the price, seem like an exellent choice. If my Key's trip goes well, I'll probably do their Dry Tortugas trip in a year or so.

Blackbeard's is a whole different experience. Called "Camping at sea". If you elect to go with them. make sure that you're comfortable with the arrangements on board. Think college dorm. Disclaimer: I've not done them either, but know people who have. Either you love it or hate it; not much in between.

I looked briefly at the Ultimate Getaway's web site. They are heavily into lobstering and spearfishing, while the Spree prohibits these activities. I also believe that these activities are prohibited in the DT park, but I may be wrong on that point. As a photog, I prefer to dive without anyone spearfishing around me.

Last edited:
Go to united states for groups, then to Fla. conch and click, you will see Greater Tampa Bay, click there. There are alot of divers that haved used the U. Getaway from there. I also think depending on the trip, they do alot of spearfishing. Post you're questions there and i am sure they will help you out.

Rick

My DH and I went diving on the Spree over Memorial weekend. It was our first liveaboard experience.
Had a great time. Crew was wonderful, very professional.
The boat is a good size (100 ft) and comfortable. Food was great. Plenty of diving. Usually 2 dives in am, 2 dives afternoon and usually a night dive. Less on the last day.
No extra charge for Nitrox.
Can't wait to go diving with them again!

Enjoy!

I did learn that Bonine is my friend and I will pre-medicate from now on.

The Juliet is somewhere in between Blackbeard's and Aggressor in Price depending on the length of trip.

They are currently sailing out either St Thomas or Puerto Rico depending if they are cruising BVI's or Mona Island. They will be based out of Miami again in 2010 and will do both Bahamas and Florida Keys Itineraries.

Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving is the site.

Can you go in October? If so, Nekton's got a great deal:
Octoberfest in St. Croix! Seven day scuba cruises for $999! All St. Croix sailings departing in October are on sale for the unbelievably low fare of $999! Call us today to book your escape in the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea.

Plus there's port fees and usually a $75 fuel surcharge. Nitrox is extra also - I think it's $200/wk. http://www.nektoncruises.com/ And the flight/trek to Fajardo PR.

Nice thing about Nekton is it's a big boat, the food is great, you get your own room (shared with someone) and full ensuite bathroom. And there's a lounge, dining room, and huge top deck. This trip is on the Rorqual also, it's the newer boat.

I's got to be much better than Blackbeards where you get a bunk and live on the deck all week. From what I"ve read you share two heads and shower water is limited.

If Nekton's hurting for business in Oct., maybe you'll get your own room for the price of shared. A friend did their Belize trip a few years ago around Christmas and the crew outnumbered the guests by about 2-1. Everybody had their own room and they didn't need to use the downstairs rooms.

I've done the Cay Sal trip, it's really good, relaxing diving.

In case you might get seasick, Nekton's the boat to be on for your first liveaboard. Blackbeards are all smaller and more conventional design so they must pitch and roll more.

Last edited:
I posted a trip report to this forum on June 1 about our trip to the Dry Tortugas on the Spree.
scubaboard.com/forums/cruises-liveaboards-charter-boats/284419-spree-memorial-weekend-anyone-else-going-info.html#post4453865

HTH
Have a great trip and please report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom