Diving in Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be going to the Big Island this coming July. Want to do
some dive there. Have heard about the manta ray night dive.
Any recommendation on which charter to go with? (I am a
beginning diver). Does anyone there do shore dive? I am
interested in some easy snorkeling. Any suggestion??

Can't wait to go! So excited!

Jackie

We did the Manta Ray night dive with Jack's Diving Locker last year. They did a great job with organizing the dive -- they have the brightest light you have ever seen they place on the sandy bottom -- it attracts tons of plankton & then the mantas! Also, one of the only times I have purchased a video from the boat, it came out really nice!

That being said, all the dive shops show up at the same site, so they actually all get the advantage of Jack's light! :D

sapphire

I forgot to tell you that our friend, who only snorkels, went on the dive with us. She snorkeled above all the divers, and got to see the mantas below her, and the divers below them. She was very excited, and said it was her favorite experience ("Magical") ever when snorkeling!

sapphire

You will not find many sites with much nice coral off any of the Hawaiian Islands ala the Caribbean. Mostly only small patches of relatively colorless stuff. Also, sparse sponge or vegetation for the most part. Look for relatively cool water temps, like 77 plus/minus 2 degrees, and modest viz, like 40-80'. Marine life is another matter altogether. Varieties of butteryflyfish, triggerfish, surgeon/doctorfish, etc. far out number those found in the Caribbean. Also, lots of turtles.

The Big Island has a wide variety of topography & excellent diving of the Kona coast. It is my first choice. Neat manta ray night dive -- the one at the now closed Kona Surf used to be almost guaranteed, but longer so. Action now is a bit north to Eel Garden Cove. Some excellent shops, including Dive Makai, Sandwich Isle Divers, Aloha Divers & Jack's Diving Locker, although these draw experienced divers. The less advanced might want to check out Eco-Adventures.

Don't miss Volcanoes National Park, rain forest outside of Hilo, or the coffee plantations. Roy's on Big Island, too. Have drinks at the Mauna Lani, near the Ritz-Carlton. Kevin Costner stayed in one of the 4,000 sq.' villas with a Mercedes sedan and valet while filming "Waterworld" -- you'll know why it ran so much over budget. Eat at Cafe Pesto, Donatoni's and La Bourgoyne.

For diving in general & shore diving/snorkeling in particular, check out web sites of Big Island Divers, Kona Coast Divers (but don't dive with this op) and Dick The Diver. Also do Phosphorescent Bay at night. Sharon's Place, Long Lava Tube, Hammerhead Point & Golden Arches also good. Can do shark cage dive with Hawaiian Divers. My favorite shore dive & an easy one is Place of Refuge you will nice coral here. If diving with EcoAdventures, be sure to do the "Toilet Bowl" -- really fun.

BTW, I very highly recommended that you purchase "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed": by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman. Oustanding. If you need Hawaii marine life ID books, you can e-mail me.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Jackie,

Please be sure to post a trip report. I'll be going there in December and would be interested in your experiences.

Thanks.

I also did the Manta night dive with Jack's and highly recommend it. They have a WEB site. You could probably find it doing a search for Hawaii SCUBA or Jacks Diving Locker.

Oh wow! There is so much to do and I have so little time!
Thanks for all the information!

Will post a trip report afterwards!

Isn't that always the case:rolleyes:

But you do need to see the volcano. I saw it a couple of years ago, and I understand you can get even closer now. Its like nothing else you'll ever experience.

Have fun.

Do I have to worry about surface time if I go to the Volcano
or Mauna Kea?

Yes, you do have to worry. Many spots on the island are high enough to be a problem after diving. Also, although your destination may be at/near sea level, to reach it you may have to travel a road through the mountains. You have to know where you are going and how you are going to get there before you set out if you travel within 18 hours of your last dive.

Back
Top Bottom