Full circle -- my first night as a DM in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So, my recently anointed OWSI husband twisted my arm into signing up for a DM class, so I can help him teach here at the house. I've been going through the bookwork, but last night was my first night with a full class. I went to the shop and sat through the lecture portion, and then helped students assemble their gear, and that's when the weird juxtaposition of memory and immediate experience began. As I helped, I saw myself in that same room, four years ago, looking at the unfamiliar equipment and struggling with it. As I grabbed a tank and heaved it around, I remembered how HEAVY they were on those first nights. I listened to the apprehension in the voices of people who SAID they were worried about finding the pool . . . but I knew where some of that apprehension was really coming from.

And then we went to the pool, and the real fun began. As I brought forgotten items, and straightened out equipment issues, I kept hearing those "Bob was helpful and kind to the students" vignettes from the DM book, and chuckling to myself. When I got in the water, I watched students trying to model what I was doing, and it felt amazing to be one of the "good divers" that I remember watching, dumbfounded, as I floundered underwater. I swam with an anxious student for a while, and gave her encouragement, and remembered how important the kind DMs were who were detailed to work with my awkward and untalented self (I still remember precisely who they were). And I listened to the excited voices of people who surfaced and called to one another, "Isn't this COOL?" And I knew why people teach diving.

It was an amazing, fantastic experience, both to see how far I have come (and I think it had even more impact because these were the exact same classroom and pool where I did my OW class four years ago), and to see a little of how much power I now have to help other people discover this great sport.

It was a wonderful night.

Congrats. I am actually doing my DM refresher at the moment (I used to hold the DM rating but I lost it due to not paying PADI enough money). Back when I was a sulky 19 year old I don't remember noticing, but you take a lot more joy out of helping less experienced divers when you are older.

Isn't it just FUN to see them climb out of the pool,allmost giving light.:D

Welcome to the FUN side of diving.
There's more fun comming.:D

Lynne, I'm sure you will make a great DM and more than likely, a terrific instructor in the near future. Have some fun and most of all, pass along your past experiences to the new divers. They will remember you fondly for it.

Just remember that in the water your's and Peter's roles are reversed. For now he is the boss. At least let him think it anyway. Good luck and good to see someone becoming a DM who has a good solid background and real experience to draw from. Between the two of you I see some pretty good divers coming out of it. And don't hold back either of you on showing your charges what diving really is. And I know you will not forget but DO NOT get stuck in a mode where all you are doing is teaching or assisting. It gets old fast and before you realize it. Dive for fun as often as you can.

Just remember that in the water your's and Peter's roles are reversed. For now he is the boss. At least let him think it anyway. Good luck and good to see someone becoming a DM who has a good solid background and real experience to draw from. Between the two of you I see some pretty good divers coming out of it. And don't hold back either of you on showing your charges what diving really is. And I know you will not forget but DO NOT get stuck in a mode where all you are doing is teaching or assisting. It gets old fast and before you realize it. Dive for fun as often as you can.

+1 Jim

After a while of being a DM I started becoming used to doing it and forgetting that new students were doing it for the first if time. I began forgetting that I went through the same process that they are going through, the nervousness, the excitement, and being totally clueless.
I started feeling that the whole thing was just getting repetitive and mundane. My buddies and I started getting into tech and I remembered what it was like being a student again. That's when I did a self check and started thinking what the students were going through. I took that lesson back to classes with me and I started appreciating the student again.

It was an amazing, fantastic experience, both to see how far I have come (and I think it had even more impact because these were the exact same classroom and pool where I did my OW class four years ago), and to see a little of how much power I now have to help other people discover this great sport.

Congratulations! It's a great experience.

There's nothing like getting to see stuff for the first time, all over again.

Terry

There's nothing like getting to see stuff for the first time, all over again.

Beautifully said, Terry! That's exactly how I felt.

So, my recently anointed OWSI husband twisted my arm into signing up for a DM class, so I can help him teach here at the house. I've been going through the bookwork, but last night was my first night with a full class. I went to the shop and sat through the lecture portion, and then helped students assemble their gear, and that's when the weird juxtaposition of memory and immediate experience began. As I helped, I saw myself in that same room, four years ago, looking at the unfamiliar equipment and struggling with it. As I grabbed a tank and heaved it around, I remembered how HEAVY they were on those first nights. I listened to the apprehension in the voices of people who SAID they were worried about finding the pool . . . but I knew where some of that apprehension was really coming from.

And then we went to the pool, and the real fun began. As I brought forgotten items, and straightened out equipment issues, I kept hearing those "Bob was helpful and kind to the students" vignettes from the DM book, and chuckling to myself. When I got in the water, I watched students trying to model what I was doing, and it felt amazing to be one of the "good divers" that I remember watching, dumbfounded, as I floundered underwater. I swam with an anxious student for a while, and gave her encouragement, and remembered how important the kind DMs were who were detailed to work with my awkward and untalented self (I still remember precisely who they were). And I listened to the excited voices of people who surfaced and called to one another, "Isn't this COOL?" And I knew why people teach diving.

Good job, I'm sure you'll make a great DM: you certainly have the experience (far beyond the ridiculous 20 minimum dives), and if your posts on here are any indication, you have the patience and articulation to be a good leader.

But you were only certified 4 years ago? Over 500 dives is quite impressive, that's like at least 2 weekends a month (minimum).

Congratulations!

I've gotta admit, I want to be like you when I grow up. I've always appreciated the tolerance and good sense of your posts.... and DM training is on my list as well. Not this year; I need to be better at diving first; but it's on the list. I love teaching biology because I can share what I love, so why not teach diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom