Fun things to do while underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZapDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I remember reading a Scuba Diving Magazine about 3 or 4 years ago that had an article about "Funthings to do while diving". I agree with some of the activities and disagree with some of them.

Some activities i remember from that magazine were:

1.- carry a tennis ball and see how it gets flat in the bottom and, as you ascend at the end in the dive, i Pops into its shape again.

2.- Peel an egg and see that the insides mantains its shape.

But I wonder, besides enjoying the wonders of the underwater world, what do you do when yo just want to have fun underwater (safely, of course)?

Greetings to all!

I turn off my buddies air... oh wait, you said safe.

Play tic tac toe at deco stops

I took a "whoopie chushion" down with me once. Inflated it in the same fashion you would a lift bag, and yes, it makes the same noise under water.

It may be an urban myth, but one of the TDI manuals talks about a diver who used to read War & Peace during deco stops. I would have thought that would create an unacceptably high risk of loss of consciousness...

Oh well boring me,
I just enjoy the marine life.:D

2.- Peel an egg and see that the insides mantains its shape.

I've cracked a raw egg at depth and watched it hold its round shape for quite a while, until the fish discovered it and started nibbling at it.
:)

My favorite
This is SUCH juvenile humour, but I just about drowned laughing anyways.... I was ocean diving with a close buddy (he's like having an idiot little brother with you), just after he had done his cavern course, so we were all about hand signals...

He swims frantically right up to me (facing me), and gives me the "something's wrong" hand wiggle. I look at him, and he is pointing his finger straight at me - like a kid pretending they have a gun - which I immediately understand, as the two of us are apparently sharing a brain.

It is the universal sign for "pull my finger".

So I pull his finger...........

We are trimmed out perfectly horizontally, and he has his octo ready, bum tilted up a bit, octo held down low, and releases some air. Which, of course, being air, follow the quickest route to the surface, which happens to be.... yup, looked like the world's biggest underwater fart.

Seriously, I almost drowned. And, of course, since we are mature adults, we now demonstrate this for others if the safety stop is a little boring...

In the local mine pits I like to stack rocks while doing deco. The rocks are flat but the slope is significant so its a real challenge...

Steeling things from your buddy can be fun too...

After doing a dive at Eagle's nest we were doing a deco stop and there was a log laying at the stop.
One of my buddies laid down on the log and took a nap. Big mistake on his part, when we woke him to go to the next stop he found that he was securely tied to the log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom