Turks and Caicos in July/Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cduffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning a 1 week trip to TCI in late July/early August. It will be just the two of us, and we would like to stay on the beach. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of the Ocean Club Resort? It looks like it might be a good fit for us, as they have kitchens and we can cook when we like, but it is on the beach with restaurants and activities nearby.

Also, can anybody advise me of what sort of diving conditions we might expect for July/August? Does the vis compare with Little Cayman? I assume water temps in the low 80's. How high is the risk of hurricane and/or bad conditions this time of year?

Ocean Club is right on one of the nicest white sand beaches you've ever seen. The dive operation is Provo Turtle divers. Been diving on and off in Provo for 7 years and I Turtle Divers to the others. While Grace Bay is alright you will really enjoy Northwest point. Weather will be warm but usually a good breeze at Ocean Club. They 've only have one Hurricane in 7 years I know about. The pools are nice and there are places to eat on the property. I'm probably going to go to T&C in August but I have been staying at Turtle Cove Inn.

The TCI are generally out of the hurricane belt. I would say the risk is nil until late August. Provo Turtle Divers is okay. See if you can get a boat that runs out of the south dock as opposed to Turtle Cove. The ride to Northwest Point/ West Caicos can be a bit grueling from the north. I think they run a boat out of the south now. Much smoother. I stopped using them because they kept dumping us in Grace Bay for mediocre diving whenever the weather was too rough to make the run along the north shore to the better diving spots. If you have a choice check out Caicos Adventures. Great big power catamaran that runs out of the south. They don't dive anything but West Caicos or French Cay. If you do only one thing get with them for the Thursday three-tank to French Cay. I guarantee the best diving of the week. I lost count of the big pelagics and the reef/walls are just awesome.
I highly recommend doing some of your own cooking. Eating out on Provo is very expensive. The IGA on the main drag is modern, if a bit pricey, but cheaper than eating at restaurants three times a day. We always start the vacation on Provo with a stock up trip to the grocery. If you are going out I highly recommend Coco Bistro and Bella Luna. Coco Bistro is very romantic.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

We were there two years ago in August. Spent one week land based diving and a second week on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor. We dove with Flamingo Divers and they were terrific. They have two boats and never took more than 8 people. They also go everywhere from West side to French Key and West Caicos. They also take care of your gear so if you dive every day they rinse it, store it, and it is all setup the next morning. They leave from the South side of the island so they get you to the best sites fast and early. They will also pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. Caicos Adventures is supposed to be good as well - they have a new very very fast boat. Provo Divers and Turtle Bay Divers seemed to take larger groups and we never saw them at West Caicos or French Key. We stayed at Harbor Villas which is not on the beach but was a great place.

I forgot to mention that the diving conditions were pristine in late August. Very similar to Grand Cayman. Water temperature in the 80s, incredible visibility, and walls. At the end of the second week we had a hurricane scare but it went East of the island at the last moment.

Our research on this board has convinced us that Caicos Adventures is definitely our preference. Tim, I've read your trip report on TCI which is full of great information -- thanks. We looked into Harbour Villas and individual villas on the island, but we really like to be on the beach, and most of the villas just aren't economical for 2 people. I understand that Beach Club units have kitchens, so we'll probably eat in at least once or twice. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Our research on this board has convinced us that Caicos Adventures is definitely our preference. Tim, I've read your trip report on TCI which is full of great information -- thanks. We looked into Harbour Villas and individual villas on the island, but we really like to be on the beach, and most of the villas just aren't economical for 2 people. I understand that Beach Club units have kitchens, so we'll probably eat in at least once or twice. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Also, if you check out Caicos Adventures on the web, they have been known to run a deal with the Sands which is on the beach.
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom