BP/W...please explain what it is!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am sure some of you are going :lotsalove: :dork2: But that is fine. I keep seeing talk about a BP/W system instead of a BC and I just can't seem to get what the difference is, or exactly what it is.

I gather it is some sort of Backplate with an inflatable wing. But what makes it different from a BC? Also, are they fine to use in cool - cold water, and the big question is for me, do you have to use a weight belt if you use a BP/W? I greatly dislike weight belts.

Can someone please explain to the new guy what a BP/W is v.s. a BC?? Show some photos maybe? Pro's and Con's! Thanks.

Actually, a bp/w IS a bcd. Aluminum or stainless plate with holes used to mount pad, STA, wing etc. Slots for webbing. Just do an image search on google for "bp/w"

This is the backplate
transplate.jpg

This is a wing
extreme-double.jpg

This is how they look together on a tank
HalcyonExplorerWingHarness.jpg

The backplate can be made out of stainless steel so you MAY not need any weight, depending on your buoyancy. If you need to add more weight you would need a weight belt. You can use them in either warm or cold water.
Most standard BCs are jacket style and the air fills up at the back and waist area.
There is also BCs like the Zeagles that are a cross between the two. You have a bladder on the back but fits you like a jacket, and the weights are integrated so you don't need a belt.

BCs basically come in two types: Jackets, in which the air bladder wraps around the front of the diver, and back inflate, in which the air bladder is entirely behind one. The backplate and wing setup is a type of back inflate BC. As such, it is a BC, and functions precisely the same way -- you add air to compensate for lost buoyancy with compression of your exposure protection, and to compensate for the gas you intend to use. You exhaust gas as you ascend.

So why do we wax rhapsodic about backplates and wings? First off, it's a very simple system. One has the plate, which can be stainless steel, aluminum, or plastic. It's attached to the diver with a harness, which can be simple 2" webbing, or can have releases and padding and all sorts of "improvements". It's also attached to an air bladder, which lies between the plate and the tank. The bladder can be U-shaped, or doughnut-shaped, and can vary in size and lift for light, tropical diving, for single tank cold water diving, or for doubles in various environments. Everything is modular, so you can put together the rig that works for the diving you do, and you can change one component to dive different setups or in different conditions.

Secondly, the stainless steel backplate is five pounds of ballast. Many standard BCs have padding, which makes them buoyant. If you are wearing two or three pounds of ballast just to sink your BC, switching to a BP/W may allow you to drop 7 or 8 pounds off your belt. You can also purchase a weighted STA (single tank adapter, needed for some setups because BP/W rigs were originally designed for double tanks) or, for DSS plates, weighted plate to bolt on, to replace even more of your belt ballast. In some cases and conditions, you can easily construct a BP/W rig that doesn't require a weight belt -- but it may also leave you with no ditchable weight, something you need to consider and decide if you are comfortable with such a setup.

Thirdly, having the weighted backplate on your shoulders tends to make achieving and maintaining horizontal trim easier, especially for people in cold water. This is one of the reasons that people get excited when they switch, although in many cases, the same weight balancing is possible with other BCs, if you use camband weights or tank neck weights, or your BC has well-located trim pockets.

Fourth, and a big reason why I like backplates, is that the rig keeps the tank absolutely quiet on your back. I have been watching open water students in jackets, and no matter how well you cinch them down, the tank is still able to slop around some on their backs, and it creates a challenge for people who haven't built the habits of balance that we all develop with time. My first dive with a backplate sold me instantly -- I was so relieved to feel stable.

As far as a photograph, here you go:

singlerigfront.jpg.html

you guys should make a sticky about this...every new diver has this question.

As mentioned above a BP/W is a form of BCD. Basically, picture a rear inflation BCD, now strip it of all of the non-essential bells and whistles and you have a BP/W. The biggest difference between the two is that a BP/W is modular. With a jacket or rear-inflation BCD you are stuck with whatever the manufacturer put on it; however, a BP/W consists of three components: a back plate which holds your tank in place, a wing, which provides the flotation, and the harness which holds everything together. The nice thing is that unlike a traditional BCD you can mix and match these three components to fit the type of diving that you are doing instead of having to buy a completely different rig for markedly different diving environments.

As for part two of your question, yes they work just fine in anything from tropical to arctic water because, as I said above, you can customize them for anything that you need.

If you hate wearing a ton of weights then a BP/W may be for you. As long as you properly adjust the components you will be able to greatly reduce, if not completely eliminate the need for any additional weights. Here's how: First off, a BP/W is less positively buoyant than a traditional BCD because all of the extra padding has been eliminated (right about now you should be thinking, "that doesn't sound comfortable at all," and you would be right, but try it and you will be pleasantly surprised). Secondly, for colder water diving where you would be wearing a thicker exposure suit you can get a heavy stainless steel backplate which will automatically take away weight from your weight-belt (or pockets, which are also available, if you prefer). However if you are going with warmer water you can get an aluminum or Kydex backplate which is much lighter. Thirdly, if you still require added weight you can go with a less buoyant steel tank which will also let you subtract additional weight.

Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion.

Jason

I am sure some of you are going :lotsalove: :dork2: But that is fine. I keep seeing talk about a BP/W system instead of a BC and I just can't seem to get what the difference is, or exactly what it is.

I gather it is some sort of Backplate with an inflatable wing. But what makes it different from a BC? Also, are they fine to use in cool - cold water, and the big question is for me, do you have to use a weight belt if you use a BP/W? I greatly dislike weight belts.

Can someone please explain to the new guy what a BP/W is v.s. a BC?? Show some photos maybe? Pro's and Con's! Thanks.

Regarding weight belts, I completly eliminated them.

As you are using single cylinder what you can do to achieve that is use a SS Backplate with a weighted STA (Single Tank Adapter) and put one weight pocket in each band of the STA. With this configuration you can manage the weight needed for most cylinders, including the buoyant ALs and it is very easy to adjust your trim by doing 2 things:

1 - putting more weight in the front or rear pocket, depending if you are feet or heads down respectively

2 - move the cylinder itself up and down if you are feet down or head down respectively.

Personally I prefer to put the cylinder in a position which is confortable for me to reach the valve and adjust the trim by adding or taking out weights from the pokets, that is because if it is an AL cylinder, as it changes to positive buoyancy in the end of the dive, what was good in the begining will work the opposite way in the end, so when using AL I put it as neutral as possible in terms of influence in the trim.

pafindr already posted very good pictures of what is a BP and a Wing. The picture is of a wing for double cylinder, below I post a picture of my single setup, with a smaller wing, which is probably what you should use.

My BP is exactly like the third picture of pafindr, with a wing of 30 lbs for single, about half the size of the one in the picture (that one I use for heavy doubles)

Attachments

• single setup.jpg
    single setup.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 4,882
The system functions in the same way, and provides the same functionality, as any other Buoyancy Control Device (BCD).

Most BCDs are a singular design, wheras Backplate (BP) and Wing (W) style BCDs are modular. The modular system comprises:

Core
1. Steel or Aluminium Backplate.
2. Harness (threaded through backplate), with variable d-rings.
3. Wing (oval or 'horeshoe' buoyancy cell) mounted behind the backplate.
4. Cylinder Attachment (bolts or bands).

Optional
1. Integrated weights.
2. Pockets.

The use of BP&W originates in the realm of technical diving (cave, wreck penetration and decompression diving). The design is generally considered to be the optimum method of providing bouyancy, trim, minimalism, streamlining and a sturdy platform from which to secure the required equipment.

In the last few years, the use of BP&W designs with single tank, recreational, diving has accelerated in popularity. I believe this is for the following reasons:

1. More interest in tech diving. Some divers simply desire to look 'tekkie'. Many existing technical divers wish to dive with the same equipment configurations whether on single or double tanks. Some divers intend to progress into technical diving and chose a BP&W, as it's modular design can evolve with them as their requirements dictate.

2. BP&W benefits. The design of BP&W systems offers benefits that appeal to some divers. These could include:

a. Minimalism. BP&W offer an uncluttered and 'free' sensation underwater.
b. Size/Fitting. BP&W is infinitely adjustable.
c. Streamlining. BP&W typically offers a much smaller profile than a conventional BCD, meaning less water resistance.
d. Trim/Weight. BP&W removes some weight from your weightbelt onto the BP. This means your weighting is spread more evenly over your center of gravity, enabling more horizontal trim and consquent efficiency in the water.

WOW! A lot of good information here, and yea...should be a sticky.

Now I am a bit of a minimalist as it is, and this BP/W things sounds nice, but I have one issue with it. I dislike weight belts, and I am a floater, always have been. In a Full 6.5m Farmer John I require 30lbs to sink. In a 6.5m Shorty 14lbs...this is in fresh water. I also like the idea of SOME dump-able weight, which with a BP/W sounds like it isn't that hard to add. I am not talking a lot of dump-able weight, maybe 10lbs.

So where do I start assembling a BP/W setup? Obviously I can check with my LDS, and I will, but is it a situation of all Back Plates fit everyone, just pick a Single vs Double? I imagine the only thing to worry about fit on is the Harness..which I take it is also called the Webbing.

WOW! A lot of good information here, and yea...should be a sticky.

Now I am a bit of a minimalist as it is, and this BP/W things sounds nice, but I have one issue with it. I dislike weight belts, and I am a floater, always have been. In a Full 6.5m Farmer John I require 30lbs to sink. In a 6.5m Shorty 14lbs...this is in fresh water. I also like the idea of SOME dump-able weight, which with a BP/W sounds like it isn't that hard to add. I am not talking a lot of dump-able weight, maybe 10lbs.

So where do I start assembling a BP/W setup? Obviously I can check with my LDS, and I will, but is it a situation of all Back Plates fit everyone, just pick a Single vs Double? I imagine the only thing to worry about fit on is the Harness..which I take it is also called the Webbing.

Diverite (and possible others) have weight pockets that you can attach to the belt of yoru BP/W setup SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Pockets.

These are dumpable weights. You can put ten pounds in them and carry the rest of your weight wherever you want it.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom