Getting in shape a few weeks before a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tommckenna6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are headed to Cozumel in a few weeks....anyone recommend a physical fitness routine to prepare for a dive. I've been certified for three years and only dive 2-3 times a year. I thought about running a few miles a day to get the heart rate up....any recommendations?

I do take a LA Boxing class two times a week but it's more strenght training than anything.

Start swimming some laps if you have a pool in the area-otherwise, anything cardio should be good-bike, run, etc.

Check your gear before you go and have a nice vacation.

Swimming is great. I also like spinning - it's not as nice as an outdoor ride, but I find I work a lot harder for that hour. I lost 35 lbs in a year of spinning 3x per week.

Run Forrest, Run !!!

I also suggest swimming but, if possible, you might try swimming with your fins. I've found that on early season dives (some years I haven't swum or dived for a couple of months of winter) I have problems with my lower legs cramping on dive two or three, even though I walk and run regularly. Doing exercises that are specific to lower leg muscles, particularly swimming with fins, seems to prevent those cramps.

I'd take my fins and snorkel to the pool and do some laps that way as part of the plan. Might as well get your legs used to doing what you'll be asking them to do.

Just got back from a 4 day trip to NC. Started biking about 6 weeks prior to the trip would do 1 hr & 15 minutes on a trail ride. Upped the routine to 2x/day by the time the trip rooled around. Lost some pounds and was real pleased with air consumption and endurance for the dives. Could tell it made a big difference. If you swim I would definitely recommend using fins as I did that a couple of years ago without fins and I found myself using my hands & arms a lot during the dives.

AL

Sound advice from these guys but don't forget about the importance of nutrition. Your body will respond and adapt to the exercise MUCH more effectively when it is getting proper nutrition. Sorry if i'm sounding like your Mom but eat your green beans Tom! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom