Diving in Greece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday to Greece. I have my PADI Open Water cert and she has the Advanced Diver cert, and we were wondering where best to dive, as we intend to do some island hopping and want to choose which islands we visit based on their dive sites.

Has anyone dove in Greece? Any tips or advice about where we should go??

Any help would be great.

I just came back from Greece in June... On the island of Santorini, besides how beatiful that island and it's hotels (on the cliff) are, I know there was a dive shop and dive boats... I didn't look into it at the time, as the water is still a bit cold for my liking... Santorini was the best area I was in...\

I stayed in Imogavilgi btw... as gombessa said, you need a few days there.. plane trip was about 30 mins from athens, and I spent 3 days... could've used 4 :D ... black beach, red beach, fira, ......one day I rented an atv... you have to experience it on an atv... the other days car..

CIMG0585.jpg

CIMG0877.jpg

Last edited:
I also just got back from a vacation in Greece. I went to Santorini as well, which is a gorgeous island (you basically have to go, and spend at least a few days there to take in Fira, Ia, and the beaches).

DSC_8825.JPG

I didn't do any diving there, but read that Santorini is one of the better places to dive, and it certainly has some nice blue water. There are at least 2 dive shops on the island (and 3 or 4 locations around the island), the ones I remember are Santorini Dive Center and Aegean Divers. I also saw this place when walking around, but I'm not sure I would dive with them:
DSC_8793.JPG

:D

I just came back from a holiday in Santorini also and I had some very pleasant dives. The visibility is great and there are some pretty nice spots with small caves. I would highly recommend Navy's dive center in Kamari beach, they were very professional and very friendly staff. I first went diving with Aegean Divers where I had an unpleasant dive experience as they were extremely disorganized, unprofessional and unfriendly. I was also given equipment which clearly had not been services in a while. So I would avoid that dive center. There is also another dive center called Volcano which I heard have been located in santorini for over 15 years and are very professional. They are also located on kamari beach.

i am also planning on a dive trip over to Greece but i would like to know the water temp I dive allot in the UK and the coldest wetsuit dive was 6 deg and it wasn’t very long ^^ (was for my OW)

so would the water in Greece be "warm" in comparison?

i am also planning on a dive trip over to Greece but i would like to know the water temp I dive allot in the UK and the coldest wetsuit dive was 6 deg and it wasn’t very long ^^ (was for my OW)

Yep.:D

Most likely in the lower 20C 22 or 23
:swaet:

Useful air/water temp chart from Navys Waterworld. Looks like they dive from May-Oct. Current water temps in the mid 70s, on the border between a full 3 or a full 5 mm for me. Sounds like fun.

Navys Waterworld Dive Center » Weather

Good diving, Craig

Hi Folks,

I'm the manager/master instructor at Navys Waterworld. Yes, two of the centers have now closed for the season but we operate through to 19th October. Water is around 22 degrees at the moment, quite chilly in a 3mm so bring at least a 5mm if you have your own, or we have 8/6/5mm combos as rental. Weather is warm and sunny still but colder in the evenings.

I discovered this thread a little too late to be of any use to the OP, but should there be other SB members thinking of diving in Greece, do PM me and I will do all I can to help. Santorini is indeed a beautiful island. As far as diving is concerned, last I was there, there were 2 dive centers, one on the eastern side of the island (Kamari) and one on the southern (Perissa). The western side with the underwater volcano is not a diving destination as it is extremely deep and the warm, volcanic waters have been known to attract sharks.

Besides Santorini, Greece is full of relatively shallow, fantastic dive sites, where you can even visit ancient shipwrecks.

Anyone seeking more specific information, PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom