Inflator Valve Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jswantek

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Sherwood Magnum BC that works rather well for me. On a recent dive, however, on about my 45th dive with it, the power inflator valve began free-flowing on me. It was an intermittent problem, and tapping the inflate button seemed to stop it. However, to be safe, we ended the dive.

The shop where I bought the BC has gone out of business since I bought it, and the 'nearest' dive shop (over two hours away) doesn't handle Sherwood equipment. So, I went ahead and ordered a replacement inflator from ScubaToys. That valve came in, I installed it properly and the first time I pressed the power inflate button, it began free-flowing unstoppably. So now I have two Sherwood inflator valve that free-flow. I've tried soaking them and flushing them, yet the problem persists.

Now, I know I can send the new one back to ScubaToys and get a replacement, but that won't arrive in time for a trip I have scheduled. What I would like to know is if there is a way I can disassemble these valves and repair them? My dive buddy has a 'universal' inflator tool, but the spanner part of it doesn't reach deep enough to remove the inflate button notches.

Any suggestions???

I wonder if the intermediate pressure coming from your first stage could be high. I don't know if that would affect a power inflator, and if it was I'd expect your second stages to be prone to free flow. But as a long shot, maybe try your buddy's reg with your BC and see if that makes a difference. Seems too much of a coincidence that a new inflator is doing the same thing.

I did think that may be a problem, but when I went back to the original inflator valve, it functioned perfectly for a while, then the intermittent free-flow started again. If the valve was being overpressured, both would behave identically.

I do have a different regulator, and to satisfy my curiousity, I will try using that one as well.

Where in Pa are you? Most inflator issues are one of a couple things. Bad oring, sticky valve, crap in the button. There are some proprietary things with the octo/inflators but a basic inflator is pretty simple and any shop tech should be able to fix it. I would also check the IP on the reg. Just because it does not do exactly the same thing does not mean it is not the problem. I find it interesting that a brand new one does the same thing. This seems to rule out the inflator. Have you by any chance tried the reg with another bc? I just redid the inflators on my DSS wings, took about 15 minutes. Even though I am very careful with my gear I did find a little bit of sediment in one of them that rinsing did not get out. Sometimes it needs torn down and cleaned. This is the first thing I'd do. But since a new one is acting up check the IP and the schrader valve in your LP hose.

I'm in the Danville area Jim.

Same valves + Different regulator = Same problem

The 'original' inflator valve is still only an intermittent problem. Sometimes it free-flows, sometimes it doesn't. The 'new' one, is almost constant, and with a much higher rate of air flow. So, that's telling me it's not the intermittent pressure or anything else with the regulator.

I'd love to just go ahead and rip these valves apart and rebuild them, but I have no way, shape or form to break them down. As said earlier, I tried a 'universal' valve tool and it doesn't fit. My only choice, I'm guessing, is going to be to 'manufacture' something that will fit around the inflate button to unscrew the retainer.

It wouldn't be surprising to me if the 'new' valve had a factory defect in it, it's not common but it does happen.

jswantek,
Is Susquehanna Scuba still on Mill st. in Danville? If so, I am sure that Mike can straighten it out in a heartbeat.

If not, and you want to have a go at it yourself and do not have the correct spanner, insert the tip of a small punch into one of the notches and tap it in a counterclockwise direction. Be careful, this is usually brass. Once you loosen it, it will screw right out and you can see how simple it really is.

Last edited:
Susquehanna Scuba shut down last Spring, I'm sorry to say. (try that one three times fast) I'll give that a shot, thanks!

I am missing something, maybe its late here and I am tired :D but when you say the PI free flows, do you mean it inflates the BC without pushing the inflate button? or, the air is exiting from the m/piece.?

Or, do you maybe have an OCTO type unit, and not just the plain stock standard PI.?

If the BC is been inflated without you pressing the inflate button, this was an issue some time back with Sherwood inflators - maybe two odd years back, although it has been rectified now, who knows how old yours may be?

Anyway, the repair is to replace the tiny polyuerethane o-ring on the far end of the inflate spindle - Sherwood had a pinkish / redish one issued for this problem.If yours is BLUE thats a sign its the old one.

Basically, you need to remove the inflator cartridge assembly (you may need to make up a little spanner to turn the recessed nut) from the housing, once out, you will note the opposite end of the inflate button stem, when you depress the inflate button the stem will move outwards - now peek inside, (you may need a magnifying glass if your eyes are like mine) and you will see the small o-ring on the stem, hook it out, and replace it with the new one.

Remember its a polyurethane o-ring, so if you cant get a propietary Sherwood product you may need to hunt a generic one down somewhere.

If I am completely off track here, I apologise, as I said its late.:D

Widget, you're right on target. This is a regular power inflator without an alternate air source. The problem is that the inflator continues to free-flow after being depressed, and sometimes flows freely on its own. I've disassembled, cleaned, lightly lubricated and reassembled the 'original' and the 'new' valves. The 'new' one has the blue polyeurethane o-rings you described, while the 'original' valve has the orange o-rings. I just tested both of them and the 'original' valve seems to be functioning perfectly while the 'new' one is still free-flowing. I'm apparently going to have to contact either Sherwood or ScubaToys to get the replacement o-rings for the 'new' valve. I will be testing the rebuild original valve this weekend on a dive, so hopefully this problem is resolved.

Luckily, I had a scrap piece of metal plate I was able to fabricate a spanner from. It is now part of my tool kit.

Yeah, jswantek, thats the issue, that little o-ring. The blue one (o-ring) is useless, it works for a day and then thats it, game over.!

To be honest, we have also had a few issues with that red/ pink / orange o-ring as well with self inflation, but its sporadic, and, as its easy to replace we just do so when necessary, and all works well again.

Okay, well, hope you can sort it all out before your vacation, it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom