Breathing techniques for low air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muratkorman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear divers,

One of the major points of diving is air consumption and all of us try to develop ourselves for reaching low air consumption for extending our dive times. The experienced divers in this forum definitely have a lot to say and suggest on this matter. Perhaps this has been discussed in previous threads and I would appreciate if you could provide some available links.

I would like to hear from you what suggestions you have on breathing. This is not a post to reinvent the wheel, but it would be a good reference to divers having air consumption issues or divers willing to reduce their air consumptions during dives. I write below my formula for low air consumption. Until now it has worked pretty well and I never had low air situations in my dives.

In order to achieve low air consumption, I try to be calm and relaxed during my dives. If you become comfortable with your diving gear and buoyancy control, you are likely to start your dive in a calm and relaxed manner. For the first couple of minutes I focus on my breathing. When you focus, you will see that you can slow down breathing in and out easily.

The real deal is to breathe in slowly, but not filling your lungs totally. You will realize that if you take a deep breath you can actually fill your lungs with twice as much air than you usually take in one normal breath. If you fill your lungs too much with air, you risk damaging your lungs and ribs in case of an unexpected ascent causing air to expand inside your lungs. For safety, having your lungs partially filled with air gives you some flexibility.

The next step is of course breathing out and here is the catch for extending your breathing in and out cycle : Do not breathe out all in one go. This will cause your lungs to require oxygen quickly and you consume more than you expect. Slowly breathe out the CO2 bothering your lungs and wait for a while. Once the CO2 level is lower than before, you gain a few seconds before breathing out the rest. In this way your breathing cycle extends without taking any risks. I usually breathe in slowly once and breathe out slowly in two steps.

I would like to receive some feedback from experienced divers on what they think about my breathing technique and I would appreciate all suggestions. I hope the information provided above will be helpful to those pursuing lower air consumptions.

Enjoy your dives :)

This worked for me so I teach it and now it works for my students also!

(1) Calm and relaxed - goes without saying - as well as good buoyancy control, weighting and trim etc. - but beyond the basics of diving:
(2) Breathe slowly and deeply - yes - but count your breaths - 5 seconds in, 5 seconds out. One breath cycle = 10 seconds = 6 breaths per minute. Already your air will last a lot longer. It's not always practical to breathe in this manner but if you are just tootling about on a nice reef it's easy.
(3) "Sip" the air from your reg - imagine your regulator is a straw in a soda and draw the air into your lungs slowly. It shouldn't take any effort, we're just slowing down the intake slightly; exhale in the same way.
(4) If your regulator is adjustable, make sure it is adjusted correctly. Air should be delivered with no more breathing effort than at the subconcious level. Some people recommend winding it all the way down to minimum air delivery to conserve air - this is a fallacy because it increases the effort you require to actually breathe. You're using more energy and will actually require more O2. A correctly set reg will freeflow quite readily at the surface (which is why some have a dive/predive venturi setting) and should have very little breathing resistance.

Hope those help - it takes a bit of practice but not much. I used to be a complete air pig when I was a novice - almost always me who brought the group up first. Nowadays I'd be surprised to go through half a tank on any of the dives I do whilst guiding. Which, by a long turn of fate, are exactly the same dives I used to do as a novice!

Cheers,

C.

I would like to receive some feedback from experienced divers on what they think about my breathing technique and I would appreciate all suggestions. I hope the information provided above will be helpful to those pursuing lower air consumptions.

The actual mechanical "breathing" part of diving has very little to do with your air consumption. Your respiration rate is the RESULT of whatever you're doing, and it's the rest of your technique that effects it the most:

• Are you properly weighted? Extra lead = extra work = more burned gas
  • Is your trim horizontal? Swimming at a 45deg angle all the time is woefully inefficient!
  • Are you streamlined? Stuff hanging all over, flapping in the breeze, requires more work to push through the water.
  • How's your propulsion technique? Bicycle kicking like mad or nice slow, efficient kick cycles? Try a frog kick to really lower your air consumption!
  • What are you doing with your arms and hands? Most people burn tons of gas with unnecessary arm flailing.
  • Are you comfortable and relaxed in the water? This is a biggie! If you're huffing and puffing on the verge of panic all the time you're gonna burn through air mighty fast. This one comes with time and experience.
  • Lastly, the #1 thing you can do to improve your air consumption: SLOW DOWN! Slow EVERYTHING down. Then slow down some MORE. Then, if you think you're going slow...you're STILL going too fast!

Sure it's important to "learn how to breathe underwater" but if you REALLY want to improve your gas consumption try these things.

Ray

The best 'breathing technique' I know...for decreasing air consumption is....

...Forget about trying to decrease your air consumption!

Seriously.... enjoy your dives, see the fish, fin slowly, look for the small critters, stop and take photos.... you will relax and your breathing will become better.

As a newbie, I used to stress a lot about my air consumption....and I hated being the person that caused the dive to end. I tried everything to improve it. I stressed about it pre-dive and throughout the dive.

When I stopped caring a damn, then it got better...and I had more fun....and I saw more...and I got better photos...

Nowadays, my breathing rate doesn't even enter the considerations for planning recreational dives.... my NDLs or available time on the boat are always the deciding factor.

...and you know what? It now annoys me that I have to ascend from a dive when my cylinder is more than half-full. ha ha ha

Exhale slowly through your nose.

Do not screw around with half breaths and skip breathing and all the tricks. This is how you build up CO2 and that is bad in lots of ways as well as making you starved for O2 and breathing more anyway.

Breath in Breath out. Calmness is absolutely a factor.

Everything RJP said is nuts on.

Here is an EXCELLENT way to GREATLY increase your gas supply.

Go to the local sneaker store and buy a pair of asics and a stop watch. Hit the street a three times a week or better. Swim laps at the pool. Bust out a snorkel.. a what?.. a snorkel and fin briskly around for 60 minutes.

CARDIO! -- if you are not a skilled swimmer take some lessons. You should learn the breathe, stroke x 4 then breathe method freestyle. This will get your muscles trained to work with little fuel.

Hit those feet on the street instead of pounding 16 ozers and you'll be amazed how much better you'll become..

Just another point, for me I've noticed a huge benefit from simply being cardio fit.
So simple fitness, along with all of the above is a HUGE help with gas consumption!

Another factor that affects air consumption is your physical condition.

If you get winded by the slightest effort and it takes your heart a long time to recover, you will consume a lot more air. You will breathe faster and shallower.

If you are in bad shape you will consume you air faster, so if you really like to dive and maximize the use of you tanks, in addition to all the good and accurate advise from the other divers, get in better shape. Do a little every day until you reach a comfortable level and then do a little more and start again. In no time you will feel better and improve your air consumption.

I agree completely.. RELAX RELAX RELAX..

The best 'breathing technique' I know...for decreasing air consumption is....

...Forget about trying to decrease your air consumption!

Seriously.... enjoy your dives, see the fish, fin slowly, look for the small critters, stop and take photos.... you will relax and your breathing will become better.

As a newbie, I used to stress a lot about my air consumption....and I hated being the person that caused the dive to end. I tried everything to improve it. I stressed about it pre-dive and throughout the dive.

When I stopped caring a damn, then it got better...and I had more fun....and I saw more...and I got better photos...

Nowadays, my breathing rate doesn't even enter the considerations for planning recreational dives.... my NDLs or available time on the boat are always the deciding factor.

...and you know what? It now annoys me that I have to ascend from a dive when my cylinder is more than half-full. ha ha ha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom